• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Diy Candle Lantern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
57A56760-F7E0-4DA7-BB6A-EE7ADC088288.jpeg
D3FDF232-266C-47C6-AA6C-3019AE681498.jpeg

I found a small rusty tin can on a hike. I cut off the top, added a wire handle, and cut an oval hole in the side to make a small candle lantern. I keep it inside my tea pot.

Some cow horns are white, has anyone ever heard of scraping them very thin and using them as break proof panels for a candle lantern?

Some cow horns are white, has anyone ever heard of scraping them very thin and using them as break proof panels for a candle lantern?
They would be very thin and probably prone to cracking I think, perhaps a better solution would be Isen glass (hope I spelled that right)

Well, I'm told some cow horns were shaved so thin you could see through them and tell how much powder was left in the horn. My worry is if the candle heat would melt or discolor the horn.

Well, I'm told some cow horns were shaved so thin you could see through them and tell how much powder was left in the horn. My worry is if the candle heat would melt or discolor the horn.
I would think a thin horn used for powder is still a little thicker than a horn panel for a light and as you stated I think the heat might be a problem, If you decide to use a thin horn panel such as was mentioned by Tyler let us know how it holds up to the heat, my guess after some use it may blister and I still think it would be prone to cracks. Good luck.

Horn flattened and scraped thin was used in lanterns before glass became readily available. There didn't seem to be any problem from the heat. I believe that's where the noun lanthorn came from. Thin flattened horn was also used for the lights in windows.

Back