• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can only "seat" caps by pulling the trigger. Suggestions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a .44 revolver that shoots perfectly, but only after I drop the hammer on all 6 caps. None ever go off the first time, but afterward they will ignite every time. I know this means they're not seated fully. 10's, 11's, magnums, pressing as hard as I can, nothing makes a difference. Snap 6, and then it'll fire all 6.

So, other than buying Treso's, (which I'm sure I'll do very soon), is there any other fix for this? It's the only smokewagon of all the revolvers I've got that does this. It's got me very curious.

Short of trying other brands of caps to see if you can find a brand that fits better, changing the nipples is really the only solution. You could also remove the nipples and turn them down to a smaller diameter. I do this when nipples get peened larger and the caps start fitting too tight. Just chuck the nipple in a drill and touch a file to it while it's spinning. Go lightly as metal comes off fast.

It sounds like the nipples are mushroomed - no caps will ever seat properly on a mushroomed nipple cone. You often can't see the bulge at the tip; you should be able to feel it however, by running a fingernail along the side of the nipple up to the tip.

Turning them down or replacing them are the only solutions if that's the case.

Chuck the nipple up in a drill (by the base, not the threads) and slowly turn it while holding a fine needle file or emery board on the side at the tip of the cone. Check the nipple fit often so that you don't overdo it.

Russ T., I got this Pietta new from Dixie Gun Works. It had a bad hand spring right at the start, so I returned it for repair. When I finally got to fire it, I had these problems. I'd have returned it for a refund or another gun, but it was a gift. Couldn't do that to her, y'know.

I believe I'll order a set of ampco nipples (they're the best, yes?). Hate that we've got to eat that sort of expense right off the bat. Doesn't seem right. But a gun that won't fire right is just plain scary and a real pain the the...

Thanks for the tips, guys. As always, I appreciate it.

If you order new nipples make SURE that they are PISTOL nipples.
Some rifles use the same thread sizes and the rifle nipples are too long for your revolver.

Of course, I have an electric drill and a flat file so if it were mine I would do as mykeal suggested.
If you use this method of filing down the cone, lay the electric drill on a table on your left with the chuck pointing to the right.
As he mentions, chuck on the nipples body not the threads.
With the drill running in the normal direction (not reverse) lay the file on the upper side of the cone at the same angle as the cone and run the drill for a few seconds while pushing the file forward.

Check the fit of a new cap often while doing this. When the nipple is the right size the cap will easily push on until it bottoms on the end of the cone.

Chuck them up in a drill and file as suggested.

It will take about 3 seconds per nipple.
Done it myself.

Setting them with the hammer is a bad gamble.

Dixie sent out a new revolver with mushroomed nipples? Either Pietta's quality control has gone down hill, or maybe Dixie sent you a gun that a dis-satisfied customer had already returned? Either way, you shouldn't have to put up with this.

dry firing will cause this.
replace the nipples and/or dress the tips as mentioned above!

mykeal said:
It sounds like the nipples are mushroomed - no caps will ever seat properly on a mushroomed nipple cone. You often can't see the bulge at the tip; you should be able to feel it however, by running a fingernail along the side of the nipple up to the tip.

Turning them down or replacing them are the only solutions if that's the case.

Chuck the nipple up in a drill (by the base, not the threads) and slowly turn it while holding a fine needle file or emery board on the side at the tip of the cone. Check the nipple fit often so that you don't overdo it.

ive done this on a couple of mine, and it works great! have a cap handy and test it after a few revolutions till you get a nice snug fit!

I'll try that very thing this week, just as soon as I've got an hour to myself. Sounds simple enough. Thanks for the tips, all. I'll let you know how it turns out if you're interested.

. july 29 / 6:35pm

just wondering, is there any way of testing the strength of the main spring as it hits ?

on my lemat there is an intermittant problem with the smooth bore cap not going off with the first strike... sound familiar ?

my solution is irrelevant to your problem, but they do have a common denominator - soft first strike..

perhaps your main spring needs adjusting (loose main spring screw, dirt in hammer notch, alignment) ? worth checking.

~d~

The caps are obviously not seating, but the nipples on a new gun would not be mushroomed.
I would tend to believe that the nipples are too wide at the base of the cone (muzzle end of the nipple).
With the cylinder in the gun, try putting a cap on the nipple and push it on real hard, then try to take it off. I bet you will have so much trouble getting that cap off that you will be cussing a blue streak.

You didn't say what kind of caps you were using..
Before blaming the "nipples"
You should try a couple different kind of caps..
case in point.
A shooter at my range was firing a brand new in the box.. traditions brass framed Cap and Ball.. can't remember the model
Using CCI#10.. had nothing but trouble.. just like you said..
Being a rather eccentric individual.. I had RWS #11,Winchester #11 and some of the new Remington #11 in my kit box..
was shooting flint.. but any black powder gun interests me. also shoot cap and ball all the time.
We tried each brand,, with much different results.
To cut to the chase the RWS worked the best.. Gave a solid 5 hits out of 6.
I see a HUGH difference in caps. Don't have the scientific skill to mic each one and test for the differences, but just looking at them and putting them on the nipples convinces me that they are not all the same.
Almost enough to drive me to start making my own.
:cursing:
Try turning down the nipples,, but be careful.. just file a tinny bit and then take it out side and test.
That's one great thing about these "CAP" GUNS :thumbsup:

Interesting... I've done a couple of the things y'all have suggested, with a variety of results. Though I can't see any mushroom at all, when I run my fingernail along the nipples I do seem to feel a little "lip" at the end, where the cap is placed.

I also pressed on several caps and did find it very difficult to remove them. Had to use my pocket knife to pry them loose, in fact. Seems that I may have both a too-wide base and mushroomed nipples? (Sheesh!)

So far I've lightly turned six nipples from one cylinder per your instuctions, and replaced those on a second cylinder with new Ampco nipples. It'll be interesting to see which work better. If either do.

Too much work to get to my range this weekend, and my eye surgery is scheduled for this coming week. It could be a while before I can give a reliable report on how things work out. I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I can, though.

Thanks all.

Well, you can always Pi$$ off your wife like I have.
Install your cylinder into the gun and cap the unloaded chambers. Then get your earplubs in and go into a bedroom closing the door behind you.

I don't think I have to say what comes next....

Women have NO sense of humor sometimes. :rotf:

Back