• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can I cut down a rifle barrel to make a pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isiah1103

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an old cva .45 rifle barrel sitting around collecting dust. Don't have a pistol and was considering cutting down that rifle barrel to use as a pistol. Are there any problems with that? I don't know what the twist is in it, but is that problematic?

Twist rate is more relative to projectile type than length of bore. I know, there are some who will say that ball shooting pistols generally have a faster twist than there rifle length brethren, but for average pistol ranges a slower twist isn't going to be a significant detriment to fun, though it may be to precision.

Dan

Isiah said:
I have an old cva .45 rifle barrel sitting around collecting dust. Don't have a pistol and was considering cutting down that rifle barrel to use as a pistol. Are there any problems with that? I don't know what the twist is in it, but is that problematic?

The indians did it all the time. When they had meetings with the "pale-face", rifles were sometimes chopped off at both the muzzle and the stock to hide under their blankkets, hence, the "blanket gun".

Yes, best accuracy will come from a proper pistol twist. But what kind of accuracy is required? Most of us are quite satisfied with the accuracy of our smooth bore pistols. Even slow twist pistol barrels will most likely beat that handily.

Some of those old CVA rifles had Douglas barrels. I would look that over carefully before I lopped off what might be a very good rifle barrel. I would prefer to build another rifle around it first. If it is a good condition Douglas, I would try to swap it off to someone with a better pistol barrel so you both get what you really want.

YMHS,
CrackStock

Balls stabalise by rpm,and rifle barrels have slower twists than pistol barrels since rifles have higher velocities. Therefore a rifle barrel will not give ideal pistol performance. But do you need ideal performance or just a fun gun? :hmm: Many many years ago I was at the Dixie Gun Works and a worker was getting yelled at for cutting some Douglas rifle barrels down for an order for pistol barrels. He was supposed to use Numrich Arms barrels to cut down. So it has been done! :idunno: :idunno:

CrackStock said:
Some of those old CVA rifles had Douglas barrels. I would look that over carefully before I lopped off what might be a very good rifle barrel. I would prefer to build another rifle around it first. If it is a good condition Douglas, I would try to swap it off to someone with a better pistol barrel so you both get what you really want.

YMHS,
CrackStock
Crackstock. I did not think about that one, and you're absolutely right! I passed up on a few Douglas barrels because I did not knoe thier reputation. Sure wish I had bought a few of them.

My own personal experience says a cut down rifle barrel will not give competition quality shooting. I tried it with my .32 "zip" gun I built using a piece of rifle barrel. It would not shoot worth a hoot. Bought an Ed Rayle pistol barrel, and it now is a tack driver. So, it depends on what you plan to do with it, but do not expect perfect results. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

traditions 32 cal Crockett pistol has a 1 in 48 twist I guess the rifle does as well. anyway I figured they cut down the rifle barrels and viola pistol barrel.

Cut down rifle barrels will make decent pistol barrels. Unless you are a really advanced competition pistol shooter. The rifle barrel pistol will prefer a bit stouter powder charge to shoot well along with the atendent reciol control issues. I have owned and shot both. All shot as well as my limited ability allowed. Remember a cut down barrel blank must be orientated with the origional muzzle end foreward becoming the new muzzle. The reason for this is often when the barrel was origionally reamed it may taper a bit with the breech end bore being a frog hair bigger in dia. Also the crown is just as important with a pistol as a rifle.

for what it's worth, i rather like the idea or using the barrel to rebuild a new rifle.

just one guy's opinion, and no doubt worth what you just paid to get it.

Just got curious and measured the twist on three pistols.
Pedersoli .50 Kentucky = 1:18 cleaning rod turns ½ turn in 9"
TC Patriot .45 = 1:36 cleaning rod turns ¼ turn in 9"
CVA Kentucky .45 = 1:72 Cleaning rod turns â…› turn in 9" (this one suprised me)
All are the factory barrels.
All shoot respectable sandbag groups.
All have won matches.
Jon D

All I see on my barrel is CVA etc. etc. How are these Douglas barrels identified? This barrel came from one of the CVA Kentucky rifle kits of the early 70's. It shot well (accurately) but the rest of the rifle was a piece of manure.

The Douglas (or maybe Sharon, there is some debate on these) barrels say very clearly:" Made in USA" To my knowledge they were only used by CVA on the early mountain rifles.Last fall I cleaned up and restored one of these for a friend and it was by far the best CVA I have ever worked on! :surrender: :surrender:

Back