• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mt Rifle Bad Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well what to do with a CVA MT rifle with a bad barrel? Been having this one a while, but barrel is toast. Contacted deer Creek they don't know when if ever they are going to make any new barrels? Guess I will strip it and sell the parts?

I've been thinking about finding an extra barrel and boring it out to a smooth bore. Then I would have 2 guns in 1!

If I had the whole thing I'd just bore it to .54 and use with shot or PRB.

Heard Bob Hoyt does not work in CVA barrels due to their patent breech plug design.
I seen a few CVAs claimed to be rebored by Mr Hoyt and remember someone posting a copy of their recipe from Mr Hoyt for reboring a CVA Mountain Gun. Maybe the owners of the guns were lying? One could go rogue and think out side of the box by picking up a phone to call Mr Hoyt and just ask him.

Well what to do with a CVA MT rifle with a bad barrel? Been having this one a while, but barrel is toast. Contacted deer Creek they don't know when if ever they are going to make any new barrels? Guess I will strip it and sell the parts?

If its truly beyond hope, someone here posted how they smooth bored a barrel themselves to make it useful again.

Still wondering what's wrong with it 🤔
Bore is very pitted, in both the lands and grooves. It's hard to see with the green light. But it's not good, especially near the muzzle. Would show you with my bore light but the battery is dead. I found a new barrel so working on cleaning that one up now.

Attachments

• IMG20240210141000.jpg
    IMG20240210141000.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back