• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

can anyone tell me what this is

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is the part im needing
I broke the hammer on my 1775 pistol welded it before the steel was all crystalline at the break But yours is a simple hammer to remake day 4 hours work with a file.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 35
I bought it broken 1983 as I liked the bayonet £275. I mig welded it back in 1983. Tig welding using argon gas is the real answer. Got rid of mine years ago. I’ll probably silver solder it as it’s just an ornament bit of paint and it’s done I knew the risk of firing it but wanted a photo for you dear boys , Always s poor sparker No big deal It’s queen Ann period 1775 Value £350-400 I guess at auction today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 28
To me it looks like a Belgium made box lock , caplock screw barrel pocket pistol . These were made in their tens of thousands for self defense in the days before gas street lightening . They came with a special octagonal ring wrench to remove the barrel . Inside is a chamber where the powder goes and the ball is seated on top of the powder then the barrel is screwed back on , this makes for much higher muzzle velocity . If you look at the pictures you can see the barrel flats do not match up perfectly with the action . Try to carefully take the barrel off with a suitable size smooth or padded jaw wrench , maybe use some penetrating oil first . Google Caplock pocket pistol . There were also flintlock versions with a pin that held the frizzen closed , and folding trigger versions in both actions , Most of these I have sold are in very good shootable condition because they were never used or seldom used . , some early ones came with folding bayonets .

If you can find an expert TIG welder it will PROBABLY work. Sometimes old alloys do not behave. The odds are better to high temp silver solder it.

Back