• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone supply a list of states where a BP gun must go to an FFL holder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update to Red Flag Law in Michigan...Legislature relooking at language as half of Michigan Counties have declared themselves 2A Sanctuary Counties and some LEO's in other counties have stated they will not enforce laws that are clearly unconstitutional. AG Nessel has said she will find a way to enforce...

This is from Cabela's website.

Blackpowder Guns:
Warning: Residents of IL, HI, MA, MI, NJ, NY and WA, please check your local laws for restrictions before ordering any blackpowder firearm.
And yet MidwayUSA and Cimarron and Texas Jacks and Old South Firearms do ship to Massachusetts!
In addition to Powder Valley and Buffalo Arms amongst others who ship powder to MA.

Old South Firearms has a nice summary of what can ship to where and is regularly updated. Their shipping policy is summarized on their shipping page. To find it, scroll all the way to the bottom of the home page and in the Blue Bar there is a listing for "Shipping Policy" -- that's the link.
They recommend against UPS who appears to be active anti-firearm now. Use USPS or FedEx

BP handguns in MI have to go through an FFL. At present, BP long guns can ship to you direct. HOWEVER, House Act 4138 that $h1tmer recently signed will require among other things, a purchase permit for both handguns AND long guns. Further, this new law, when it takes effect defines firearm as
"“Firearm” means any weapon which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by action of an explosive." so any BP gun, which are currently not a firearm by Federal and State law, will be subject to FFL transfer.

Even more....A red Flag law has passed which will allow "former dating partners" to initiate a Red Flag firearm seizure along with the usual suspects (LEO's, Medical Professionals, family, spouse,etc...) so be careful how you break up with your current dating partner!! AND-- the 3 arms of Michigan government being now controlled by Democrats have announced their next attack being configured to throw at gun owners is to ban BB Guns to those under 12 years of age and ban a.....t weapons -- whatever the heck those are
There’s a person from Michigan selling a ROA and he states it has to be shipped to an FFL holder in Texas. This is correct?

The libs on the entire left coast have out laws everything they can to include black powder, lead and FFL class C fireworks.

They got rid of semi autos to black powder, them some scare-tee cats

The libs on the entire left coast have out laws everything they can to include black powder, lead and FFL class C fireworks.

Untrue, California & Oregon do not require FFL for muzzleloaders and certainly are not banned. I have read that WA requires an FFL for inline muzzleloaders but it was through a forum similar to this with people spouting whatever comes to their head like in this thread... so I take that with a big spoonful of salt

I'd get as much of everything one might think he'd want, as the laws will only spread and become more onerous. Stock in cylinders, percussion pistols, etc., they will only become more valuable.

The "Nitrofire" guns are classified as modern guns and require the usual FFL to transfer them. One of the reasons I mostly shifted back to Black Powder was to avoid all the FFL stuff.

There’s a person from Michigan selling a ROA and he states it has to be shipped to an FFL holder in Texas. This is correct?

That may be just his preference. In Michigan, a non FFL can ship a longun to another citizen by providing a copy of his DL. At least until House 4138 takes effect. That said, I have a gun club friend who did just that --to NC -- He sent the shotgun to the buyer c/o the FFL the buyer specified. Even tho all parties agreed it is legal, including ATF, the FFL refused to transfer the firearm to the buyer because it did not come from an FFL. His rules for doing business. Buyer hand to pay to ship back to seller who then used an FFL to ship back to the original FFL in NC who then ran the NICS check and did the transfer.
So shipping paid for 3 times plus the fee for the shipping FFL in Michigan and the transfer fee by the FFL in NC. Brandon has urged his BATFE to go after FFL's looking for shady s*** or criminality. Honest recording errors in past were pointed out and agents had FFL fix on the spot. Not now...cause for revocation. Of course, they not going after big box type stores...just small businesses and those "At Home" FFL business owners....only going to get worse--definitely so in $h1tmer Land

I didn't read all 7,000 comments.
But in New York if you have a pistol or black powder revolver.
And you possess the components to fire it.
It has to be on your carry permit.

NY is confusing, but you DO NOT have to go through a FFL. State law states that sales should be subject to a NICS check, but using the NICS system to process the sale of muzzleloaders is not allowed. So, we have a state law that is unenforceable. I called the NYS Police firearms hotline and it was confirmed that muzzleloaders do not need to be processed through an FFL. Obviously, that could be different in certain parts of the state, I’m not sure.

NY is famous for passing laws that contradict other laws, are confusing, unenforceable, or are just plain unconstitutional. The laws passed after the Bruen decision are a perfect example.

The way NY laws are written, it is against the law. However, call to the NYS gun hotline confirmed that the law is unenforceable, so it negates the need to go through a FFL. It’s against federal law to use NICS to be used for anything other than “firearms” of which BP guns are not according to the feds. So, for NYS to require it for BP guns, it violates federal law. Another NYS law that made someone feel good, but do absolutely nothing.

Don't confuse federal and state regs.
It's not that a Federal NICS is required. The few states I've shipped to, IE Illinois and NJ they went to state licensed dealers.

Some states do not use the NICS. They use the states background check systems.
Some states don't have. State dealers license, Georgia use to it ended ten years back.

CA has their clfc number system. However I have shipped muzzleloaders to CA guys.
Since laws change weekly and I can't get a hold on the regs.
If I have a question, I'll ask the buyer. It's up to the recipient to know his local regs.
Anytime I've called law enforcement they never know or refuse and even told me to ask a lawyer

IMPO don't sell or ship if it doesn't feel right.
Theirs a lot of sales off this forum. One day one of yinz is gonna get bit by the big bad sales tax wolf.

As I said to another poster on this thread get your facts straight before posting bulls**t, I live in California and in the last year alone have had 3 black powder revolvers, 2 spare cylinders, percussion caps, lead balls, and powder all shipped to my home with no problems at all.

As I said to another poster on this thread get your facts straight before posting bulls**t, I live in California and in the last year alone have had 3 black powder revolvers, 2 spare cylinders, percussion caps, lead balls, and powder all shipped to my home with no problems at all.
Same here in WA.

It's right here in my Hunting regulations booklet. It does not say you have to use a FFL holder. It says ML's are Firearms ! So i said the State of Ky. could make us use a FFL holder if they wanted to.
Mike, "could" is key.

I will have to go back and read the ML regulations but as of now, I believe what you contend pertains to hunting regs. As in hunters orange, carrying a loaded ML in a vehicle, shooting from a vehicle, shooting across a road, legal shooting hours, etc. In that aspect, they are the same as a modern firearm.

However, last January I purchased a new ML from a dealer and did not have to fill out an FFL form.

Also, I had my Crockett shipped to my home. It was an online purchase.

I suppose the law "could" change at anytime, however.

The way things has gone downhill in this country, IMO, if someone thinks they may need anything relating to muzzleloaders, they best do so now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back