• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone supply a list of states where a BP gun must go to an FFL holder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is that it’s a hodgepodge of state and local laws and because of that I don’t think you’re going to find any single government source, it would be different if it was federal law.

The simplest way might be to go to somewhere like MidwayUSA’s or muzzle-loader .com’s website and see where they won’t ship one, but I’m not sure that is really 100% accurate.

That Cabelas is a global lawyer’s statement. I agree with checking to see 3-5 MZL Sellers state and going from there. This is what Dixie Gun Works says for BP Revolvers:

THIS PRODUCT CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO NEW JERSEY OR CANADA.”

You may have to check state by state, to determine if a muzz needs to go through an FFL for transfer. There are some state that have such laws, but from my research, and it’s still ongoing, most don’t. Because a company won’t ship to a state unless through an FFL, does not mean it’s that specific state’s law, it can be the company’s policy for legal matters.
Best to look up the states you are at question about, find the gun laws RE:possession- buying n selling and definitions of muzzleloaders in those laws to determine what’s legal. Good luck

Muzzleloaders are NOT classed as Firearms in California BUT, in some liberal left leaning Counties in the Southern San Francisco Bay area, they have to go thru an FFL. You won't know which one till you ask. Local not State law.

Won an auction, seller/dealer wouldn't ship to California. Called and mention that Muzzleloaders we're NOT classed as a firearms. Got it 3 days later. :thumb: :thumb:

NY is confusing, but you DO NOT have to go through a FFL. State law states that sales should be subject to a NICS check, but using the NICS system to process the sale of muzzleloaders is not allowed. So, we have a state law that is unenforceable. I called the NYS Police firearms hotline and it was confirmed that muzzleloaders do not need to be processed through an FFL. Obviously, that could be different in certain parts of the state, I’m not sure.

NY is confusing, but you DO NOT have to go through a FFL. State law states that sales should be subject to a NICS check, but using the NICS system to process the sale of muzzleloaders is not allowed. So, we have a state law that is unenforceable. I called the NYS Police firearms hotline and it was confirmed that muzzleloaders do not need to be processed through an FFL. Obviously, that could be different in certain parts of the state, I’m not sure.
I hope you recorded the phone conversation.

It is confusing in NY. My reenacting group would not go to NY to do any events last fall to present because of the new gun laws. The new laws redefined any muzzleloader to be in the same definition as a modern firearm. This change affected the possession laws regarding sensitive areas which are now many.
At the beginning of May 20/23, there was a change or carve out in the new law to permit an exception for “persons While lawfully engaged in historical reenactments, educational programming Involving historical weapons of warfare, motion picture or theatrical productions, in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations.”

You do NOT need FFL in NY. I've bought 4, one of them at a shop. But NO shops have real BP, ans while no one can explain it to me, they all seem to say it's too expensive to recoup. But Pyro and T7 are in many LGS.

As for muzzleloading handguns...i have no idea. Our laws are written by people who know nothing about guns. And it cuts BOTH ways! For instance, yoy can hunt deer with ANY centerfire caliber. So...22 Hornet, if you are so inclined. Which is bizarre, and unethical, to any decent hunter.

They won't take the time to learn, because they have already decided what the end goal is. And it isn't about safety, or lowering crime.

Sentry44

You do NOT need FFL in NY. I've bought 4, one of them at a shop. But NO shops have real BP, ans while no one can explain it to me, they all seem to say it's too expensive to recoup. But Pyro and T7 are in many LGS.

As for muzzleloading handguns...i have no idea. Our laws are written by people who know nothing about guns. And it cuts BOTH ways! For instance, yoy can hunt deer with ANY centerfire caliber. So...22 Hornet, if you are so inclined. Which is bizarre, and unethical, to any decent hunter.

They won't take the time to learn, because they have already decided what the end goal is. And it isn't about safety, or lowering crime.

Sentry44
I’ve heard that as long as you do not have the items necessary to fire your BP pistol, it does not have to be on your permit. I do not have the necessary items to fire my pistols….

Latest posts

Back