• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp Cooking-looking for ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RHW,
been awhile, how's the cook book coming along????
bet Cookie could hep you out if you need help.
snake-eyes :hmm: :peace: :) :thumbsup:

RHW,
I was wondering how it was going just the other day to...give us a update and if you need a hand holler ::

Hey Gal, got a recepie for some good buttermilk buscuits if you would like. Did they have baking powder way back then? :):)

two cups of flour
3 heaping teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
grease pan with oil or shortnin' and let excess run off into pan with mixture- about 2 tablespoons
then either add 1 1/2 buttermilk or substitute just 1 cup of regualar milk

mix all indigredients together then pread out on floured surface and work slightly. Roll over onto itself about a dozen times making sure to get a light floured surface between each roll over. Kind of want to make layers. Then pat out into about 1" high and cut out into about 8 or 9 buscuits. Bake for about 12-15 minutes depending on the oven untill golden brown on top and bottom. I haven't tried it in a dutch oven yet but oh boy, just wait till I do! :):)

This is my own recepie, hope you like it as much as we do. They go with anything!

Toney

ps If you have some pure maple syrup on hand to go with them please call me to join you. :)

Thanks Cookie, for the offer. It's coming along pretty good, am in the process of downloading all the ideas onto a disc so I can bring it up offline and edit. So far, got a lot of great ideas for main dishes and a couple of sides. If anyone's got some input for desserts, sides and/or drinks to make, blend, etc. let me know. I would like to make this an actual cookbook and possibly print out a few copies and pass them along to anyone interesed!

So!! Heads up Folks! Any ideas for desserts, side dishes, drinks and such would be appreciated as well! :redthumb:

Thanks for the biscuit recipe, Toney. I'll be sure to give ya a holler if I got any maple sweetness to go along with them! More than likely, I'd have good old clover honey, will that do?

::

RHW,
If this is a camp kinda cook book maybe some of the guys that posted "beverages" in the lets have a drink thread wouldnt mind if you used a recipe or two. For desserts, you cant go wrong with a crisp made with berries picked while on the woods walk:> Or Pie

Piedone.jpg

cooked up in the dutch oven... :peace:

Oh for sure honey will do fine. Actually been using honey lately since I ran out of syrup.

give it a try soon and let me know I do not think you will be dissapointed at all.

TCU

RHW,
I would say by all means use any of the Camp Gear
& "Cooking" to use in your cook book. Check out the
beverages, there are some real good ones. The "apple
pie" drink is very good.
snake-eyes :imo: :peace:

Okay, I don't normally share this with just anybody, but...

Troop 57 Black Forest Cobbler

Get a can or two of cherry pie filling and put in the bottom of a 12" dutch oven(we usually cheat and line the oven with aluminum foil). Get yourself a basic chocolate cake mix. First thing you do is cut out the directions on the box and throw 'em in the fire. Then you dump the mix on top of the cherries (for official Troop 57 cobbler, get the dark chocolate mix that come with the packet of special dark syrup and drizzle that over the mix). Then add about 6-8 oz of coca-cola. Cover the oven and set on about 9 briquettes worth of coals, with about 15 on the lid. Should be done in 20-25 minutes.

Toney,
That is a very good Biscuit recipe..... I tried it out tonight..I have been looking for a good, from scratch recipe, I think this one is a keeper for sure :). Thanks for posting it... :thumbsup:

Cookie,
i have'nt but i will now with your recomendation!
thanks
snake-eyes :hmm: :peace: :) :thumbsup:

Just remembered another "Boy Scout" dessert. I haven't done this one myself, so some of the details are fuzzy. I was at an outdoor leadership training session where we cut open oranges and scooped out the meat so they looked like miniature pumpkins. Then we filled them up with chocolate cake mix and baked in the fire. I don't remember cooking time or whether we placed the "lids" back on and wrapped them in foil or just exactly how it worked, but if somebody wants to experiment they are a kinda unique treat.

:hmm: Hmmm, I wonder about settin a bunch of em in a dutch oven...:hmm:

Hmm that sounds interesting.. kinda like cupcakes but using a hollowed out orange...I dont see why it wouldnt work in a dutch oven... maybe even somewhat better...interesting idea there.... :D Im just waiting for the right time to try the other one you posted... got a Rondy coming up in two weeks.. maybe then....

Cub Scout Pac 110 Baked apple.
remove apple core fill with butter and cinamon mix in void wrap in foil place on coals for ten or so minutes, best darn apple you ever ate. :imo: Try bananas the same way.

Bullwnkl.

As long as we're on about Scout cooking... A couple of antique Troop 615 recipes.

Start wih one large onion and 1/2lb ground meat per person. Halve the onion around the equator, remove all but the outer 3 or 4 layers. Chop the rest and add to ground meat (beef works, but venison was better) with salt & pepper. Fill the onion halfs remaining, place in DO or wrap in foil and bake until the meat is done.

Same thing with the onions, but use medium size and then hollow out, fill with biscuit dough and bake. You can use the instant type tube (freezer) dough, sprinkle some granulated garlic on top for instans garlic bread.

Best dessert ever... 2 medium cans of sliced peaches in juice, 1/2 bag of chocolate chips, double chocolate brownie mix add water-only type, Dump the brownie mix into a dutch oven, add the chips, dump in the peaches with juice. Stir unti leverything is wet and bake for 30-45 minutes. Variations- add candied fruits or re-soaked dried fruits, use butterscotch chips or peanut butter chips.

If you are into dutch oven cooking, look at the International Dutch oven Society page.IDOS

I have been there a few times... nice recipe archive.. :peace: :thumbsup:

I love these ideas you fellers are throwin out here.. I really enjoy cooking and especially being able to use my ole dutch ovens..but I also like things that are pretty quick and easy like some of these...because as much as I enjoy the campfire cooking, I dont want to spend all day, stuck in camp, doing it :haha: I gotta be able to go out and shoot too ya know :: :winking:

Cookie try this one it is easy and good

1 Lg head of cabage..... choped
3 lb burger
1 lb reg rice
2 med onion diced
1 32oz can on tomato puree
salt and pepper to tase

mix rice and burger together
place layer in bottom of Duth Oven
salt and pepper between layers
then place layer of choped cabage
then another layer of burger then cabage
continue till all is used.
pour in tomato puree last then cook till cabage is tender.
I sometimes put saurkraut on as last layer on top.
It is like cabage rolls with out rolling them.

Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back