• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp coffee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently I read a portion of a "travelers commentary" on the circa 1770 era in "frontier" Al, GA, MS & TN & found a brief comment about using linen cloth to "strain the grounds" from boiled coffee.= Sometimes, one finds "period techniques" in places that one wouldn't expect.

yours, satx

It's morning, I'm sick, I'm infirm, I need coffee.
I had best get some coffee. It's the only thing, preventing me, from mass murder.

Follett said:
It's morning, I'm sick, I'm infirm, I need coffee.
I had best get some coffee. It's the only thing, preventing me, from mass murder.
I've had days like that. Quite a few of 'em, in fact. :haha:

Did I mention I roast my own beans?...There's nothing like a cup of home roasted fresh ground coffee.
I roast it outside in a cast iron skillet.(it will smoke your house up if you do it inside.) It's super easy and green coffee beans will last forever....You can also roast to your taste preference. I use a wall mount hand crank coffee grinder.... :thumbsup:

I roast it outside in a cast iron skillet.(it will smoke your house up if you do it inside.)

If you're short and can't find your ramrod or a broom handle when it come time to test the smoke alarms, roast some beans on the stove...., you'll set all of them smoke detectors off! :wink:

Takes a while for them to shut down again though..., I didn't say it was a good idea. :shocked2:

So YES I roast my own from time to time. Sometimes in a pinch I buy a pound of the "blond" beans and then complete the roasting, since otherwise I cyber order the green beans.

LD

tenngun said:
I roast and grind in the evening at an event. About 90 min to do the whole job.
Last time I roasted beans and made coffee in camp, it took about 15 minutes...

tenngun said:
It’s the grinder that’s slow. It almost makes an Arab grind.
That's great for an Espresso maker or Turkish Coffee, but a coarser ground is better for camp coffee (in my opinion) - a little cold water settles the grounds, something that doesn't happen with a very fine grind.

I roasted some more this afternoon....My wall mount grinder was running low.
I quit when the amount of smoke coming off it made the entire pan disappear and I couldn't see what I was stirring....... :haha:

Not as handy for sure being so fine. I make mine in a 1/2 gallon trade tin pot. Boil a few min then set off for a few min. I do get ground in the mouth sometimes but it mostly settles ok. It will make good coffee jus breaking up with the back of a hawk.

Colorado Clyde said:
Did I mention I roast my own beans?...There's nothing like a cup of home roasted fresh ground coffee.
I roast it outside in a cast iron skillet.(it will smoke your house up if you do it inside.) It's super easy and green coffee beans will last forever....You can also roast to your taste preference. I use a wall mount hand crank coffee grinder.... :thumbsup:

Where do you get green coffee beans? :confused:

Rifleman1776 said:
Colorado Clyde said:

Check with your local coffee roasters or online (e.g. Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...h-alias=aps&field-keywords=green+coffee+beans).

Last edited by a moderator:
Townsend and Turkey foot traders also supplies them. I roasts them in a frying pan out side as they smell of burnt popcorn and are smoky. Just have to keep the pan moving till all dark brown.

tenngun said:
Townsend and Turkey foot traders also supplies them.
True, Townsend is nearly twice the price per pound (or more) and Turkeyfoot, more in line with the market. Still, one needs to consider shipping costs as well.

Rifleman1776 said:
I get mine from a local coffee roaster....All to happy to sell me green beans...saves them work.
Just ask them if they will sell you some green beans....A sale is a sale....

tenngun said:
I roasts them in a frying pan out side as they smell of burnt popcorn and are smoky. Just have to keep the pan moving till all dark brown.

Yep!...I do mine in a cast iron skillet...I stir constantly with a big spoon...Stir, stir, stir,,,,,
They will begin to brown then the skins come off they pop and crackle....they will turn black and smoke....The smoke will become quite profuse and the beans will begin to shine....That's usually where I quit. I then quickly transfer them to an aluminum sheet pan to cool and stop the cooking ....stirring also...

Side note: Once the cast iron heats up you can reduce the heat. Remember you're roasting not searing....There is a difference between roasted and burnt.

Back