• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Calvary Saber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My father was a Lieutenant in the 107th Cleveland National Guard Calvary in the early 1920's and 30's. I have his dress saber but would like to add a "working" saber to his kit. I am not sure of the model. Any help to find an appropriate saber in good condition is appreciated. Thank you

A Calvary saber, eh? Gonna stand guard on the hill outside Jerusalem on Good Friday?
Well, I just might!
When I was a tad, my father would put his saddle on a sawhorse, hang his Sam Browne and saber on me in the saddle and teach me saber maneuvers and commands as well as bugle calls. My arms were too short to draw the saber in one motion so I had to use both hands to get it out! Good times those were!

Well, I just might!
When I was a tad, my father would put his saddle on a sawhorse, hang his Sam Browne and saber on me in the saddle and teach me saber maneuvers and commands as well as bugle calls. My arms were too short to draw the saber in one motion so I had to use both hands to get it out! Good times those were!
Since shipping a black stallion to Jerusalem might be a dite expensive (not to mention buying one), I guess I'll have to sit on a sawhorse again!

Would this work? Some dolt ground the maker off. It's in nice condition,sheath need a little TLC .
Leather has some nicks.
Cutting edge is dulled over
Message me if you're interested.
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_20240210_151158725~2.jpg
    IMG_20240210_151158725~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Little off topic and not for sale.

I have the blade of a Calvary saber that my mom's husband found about 20 years ago,it was about half grown into a tree.Looked like it was leaned against oak tree and through the years tree grew around it.Max cut tree down and whittled blade out.
The house they lived in was hmm (trying to think what would be correct name) Calvary Station? Calvary out post? Anyway the center of house was at one time a Calvary station it had been added to few times through the years,and between 1/4 and 1/2 mile from reservation line.

My father was a Lieutenant in the 107th Cleveland National Guard Calvary in the early 1920's and 30's. I have his dress saber but would like to add a "working" saber to his kit. I am not sure of the model. Any help to find an appropriate saber in good condition is appreciated. Thank you
For that time period, would they have carried the Patton sabre?

Unfortunately I deal with many silly War reenactment guys. Some are adamant about defarbing a item.
I tell them if you defarb them decided to sell and you bring it to me. You can expect it to be devalued by 1/2 . That doesn't include what you paid to have it defarbed!
I say I don't know what it is. I don't know who made it. You had all the manufacturers cartouche's/stamps removed then had the other stuff put on.

The picture of the savory posted has the same design is one from the 1860s. I'll attach a few more pictures here of the guard. I'm not convinced that it's an original.
The cutting edge is dull and it doesn't appear to have been sharpened.
Along with a picture of the 1902.

BPB

Attachments

• IMG_20240211_103232548~2.jpg
    IMG_20240211_103232548~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240211_103241486~2.jpg
    IMG_20240211_103241486~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240211_103257533~2.jpg
    IMG_20240211_103257533~2.jpg
    828.9 KB · Views: 0
  • H0171-L148784431.jpg
    H0171-L148784431.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 0
He may have carried on duty,a 1913 saber

Wndlass makes reproductions. ( Atlanta Cutlery sells for $269.95 ) EBay has1 (real) for$775.00 [ also had a sling for $60 +.

Attachments

• 600px-Patton_Sword.png
    600px-Patton_Sword.png
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • 0011194_patton-sword__17428.jpg
    0011194_patton-sword__17428.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 500530-Patton-Sword.jpg
    500530-Patton-Sword.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0001010_0.jpeg
    0001010_0.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
He may have carried on duty,a 1913 saber

Wndlass makes reproductions. ( Atlanta Cutlery sells for $269.95 ) EBay has1 (real) for$775.00 [ also had a sling for $60 +.
I don't think so. He was adamant about the usefulness of a curved blade on horseback. The Patton is the correct time frame but I wonder if National Guard troops might have had the "left overs" from other conflicts?

Unfortunately I deal with many silly War reenactment guys. Some are adamant about defarbing a item.
I tell them if you defarb them decided to sell and you bring it to me. You can expect it to be devalued by 1/2 . That doesn't include what you paid to have it defarbed!
I say I don't know what it is. I don't know who made it. You had all the manufacturers cartouche's/stamps removed then had the other stuff put on.

The picture of the savory posted has the same design is one from the 1860s. I'll attach a few more pictures here of the guard. I'm not convinced that it's an original.
The cutting edge is dull and it doesn't appear to have been sharpened.
Along with a picture of the 1902.

BPB
Hey Bill,
Is the 1902 the last image in the group? It looks very much like my father's dress saber (I couldn't enlarge the image). Do you know if they made a "working" 1902 saber or is that one? My dad's dress saber would never hold up to any kind of real use. I agree that the 1860 looks a bit suspicious, given what you have posted.

Hey Bill,
Is the 1902 the last image in the group? It looks very much like my father's dress saber (I couldn't enlarge the image). Do you know if they made a "working" 1902 saber or is that one? My dad's dress saber would never hold up to any kind of real use. I agree that the 1860 looks a bit suspicious, given what you have posted.
Fred,
Googled a.zillion sites here's one . https://www.scaleatherarmor.com/p-1...A3TdWWPwMEJzKosrJCnc4UyVhDQIyVuF_pqR2HHTb0cSs

Would this work? Some dolt ground the maker off. It's in nice condition,sheath need a little TLC .
Leather has some nicks.
Cutting edge is dulled over
Message me if you're interested.
Bill
Just had the same saber show up today, found it in the rafters of a old barn. Filed off maker and date…. I think it was recovered and used by the confederates. Found it in Charles Town, 25414

Back