• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Call the NMLRA Prez

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faw3

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Since the NMLRA thing is up here again and it always becomes a :shake: ...The NMLRA Prez knows they are in trouble and wants your imput ( MB JULY 2007) if you took off yrs ago or wont join call and tell him why. And keep it clean if you want to get heard. fred :hatsoff: 703 644 9793 the Prez # he wrote its the best way to get a hold of him, he doesn't get all his E's ect

I saw this in MB, and I think it's a good step in the right direction for any organizations President to extend such an invitation to want to hear what the folks have to say.

IMHO, Winston Roland has the best interest of the NMLRA in mind. I've read his President's Message's in MB and he strikes me as a straight shooter, and not someone trying to twist or mix words.

Who better to talk with then the head man himself? However, keep in mind that like all leaders, he to has a BoD to answer to, and it sure sounds like to me that he is offering his hand in friendship (no pun intended) to listen, learn, and get a feeling for what has happened with the NMLRA in recent years.

Just my thoughts.

He's a good guy. I have talked with him at length. He is working his tail off to make the NMLRA more attractive to traditional muzzleloading gun shooters. The NMLRA appears to be deemphasizing their push to sign up inline shooters, since that didn't work anyway. They do allow inlines in special matches at Friendship and what the heck, it gets in shooters that wouldn't be there otherwise.

Many Klatch

Dear Fellows;

I let my NMLRA membership lapse 15 yrs ago or so - when I sold my guns after I got married my 2nd time and went to college - So, what has changed when I was a member and I thought the organization was very good. Granted, it was a requirement to be a member of one of the clubs I shot at but still.

I was gonna join again, even if the biggest benefit is the magazine.

Hi Many,

I talked to him the other day on a matter of concern that I have and most likely you and alot of other have. The topic was shooting jackets! I am going to try and attempt the jacket thing in a little different manner than in past years.

I will send you a PT here in a bit and would like to get your response on it.

By the way Winston was a real good guy to discuss things with, we talked for over an hour about my concerns and about other topics. Real easy to talk to. :thumbsup:
rabbit03

It's not hard to figure out. All the prez has to do is log onto this and some other ML forums and read what is being said. I think the message is pretty clear (and almost unanimous) anytime the NMLRA is discussed. I don't believe that they (prez and company) don't know whats wrong. I doubt that this plea is to give ex-members the opportunity to elicit change in the present direction/policies of the organization. Rather, I think it's a way for (the prez) to gain an opportunity to try to change ours (on our dime). The only way to find out the true intention would be to call. IMO, if the prez lets the caller do all the talking and just listens without trying to 'correct' the callers thinking, then I'ld say the plea is genuine. If OTOH, the prez uses the opportunity to "explain" the organizations policies and direction, then he's not really interested in hearing whats wrong at all.

I don't get any reading that the opposition to the NMLRA is anything like unanimous. They saw thousands of new muzzleloading shooters and tried to sign them up. The in-line shooters weren't interested and a lot of traditional shooters got upset. Do the in-line trophy animal shooters get an asterisk or do we compete directly? Other than that, find it hard to see what the NMLRA is doing that is so terrible. graybeard

Cody: YOu assume facts not in evidence. I doubt very much if Winston knows how to type, much less owns a personal computer. He is just old enough to have missed out on that generation of training. But he is a great guy, easy to talk to, and has been a long time traditional rifle shooter. I can't think of a better man to have at the head of the NMLRA today to reflect out interests. He is sincere in wanting to make the NMLRA more attractive to traditional shooters. And, he wants to finish repairing the damage down by well intentioned but poorly handled former board memers and officers, who, at the time, felt they were caught between a rock and a hard place with the IRS threatening to take away the organizations Tax Exempt status over the poor accounting practices with the NMLRA sponsored regional rendezvous. A lot of good people got their feelings hurt, and some crooks made off with lots of money that belonged to the NMLRA, legally. Their behavior hurt all of us, both financially, and in added costs of lawyers and accountants having to battle the IRS. LIke the Friends of the NRA Foundation, we finally emerged battle scarred but safe from those wars, and the IRS did not succeed to destroying our means to continue to offer facilities and equipment to kids to continue our sport.

So, PLEASE, you know more about the details of who insulted who, and what really happened than anyone else on this forum, or anywhere. Call him. Talk to him. Write him a long detailed letter. He is the best chance to get changes made to the NMLRA NOW.

Considering he was the head of the Ad department of the NY Post for several decades I would assume he's savy with typing and computer skills. :haha: He just retired last year.

The hunting section of that magazine is really beguining to annoy me.(OK I lied. It has annoyed me since day #1) Every guy in there and every picture is an animal shot with some sort of zip gun. All the hunting articles in that section are all about bullet shaped projectiles and how fast they can get them going with fake black powder. I got no use for that stuff and I doubt 90% of the readers do either. If that section were all about game taken with patched RB's and traditional guns they'd really have something.
Generally I throw the magazine away after I read Wally Gusler's article.

fw said:
Since the NMLRA thing is up here again and it always becomes a :shake: ...The NMLRA Prez knows they are in trouble and wants your imput ( MB JULY 2007) if you took off yrs ago or wont join call and tell him why. And keep it clean if you want to get heard. fred :hatsoff: 703 644 9793 the Prez # he wrote its the best way to get a hold of him, he doesn't get all his E's ect

Pardon me but if the NMLRA was the LEAST BIT CURIOUS when people drop NMLRA Memberships. Than maybe each time a member fails to renew their membership, why hasn’t the NMLRA sent out a questionnaire to find out what the person dropped their membership.

I think the attitude of the NMLRA is if you are not a Member of the NMLRA you are a problem for not support the NMLRA.

BTW the NMLRA Current President is

Winston Roland and his e-mail is: [email protected]

e-mail is cheaper than a phone call...
:blah:

BTW if you e-mail him, share with all of us his responce... :shake:

-[0
paulvallandigham said:
Cody: YOu assume facts not in evidence. I doubt very much if Winston knows how to type, much less owns a personal computer.

:confused: :confused: Hmmmm, with all due respect Paul, if your refering to when I said "All the prez has to do is log onto this and some other ML forums and read what is being said." as an incorrect assumtion that he has access to a computer, the opening post said "703 644 9793 the Prez # he wrote its the best way to get a hold of him, he doesn't get all his E's ect" which tells me that he does, but preferes the phone. Couple that with information in Mike Brooks's post and it would seem that perhaps your contention that "I doubt very much if Winston knows how to type, much less owns a personal computer" might be an assumtion of facts not in evidence. I didn't state anything in my post as "fact". It was just an opinion about human nature in general and how it may pertain to this situation. He may very well be a great guy, many have said so. I don't know as I couldn't pick him out of a crowd of two. That's why I said "The only way to find out the true intention would be to call". I truely hope your right and that the prez in sincere about getting the NMLRA on the right track. While a friendly invitation to listen is a great start, it can't be assumed that it necessarily means what we want it to mean.

Mike Brooks said:
The hunting section of that magazine is really beguining to annoy me.(OK I lied. It has annoyed me since day #1) Every guy in there and every picture is an animal shot with some sort of zip gun. All the hunting articles in that section are all about bullet shaped projectiles and how fast they can get them going with fake black powder. I got no use for that stuff and I doubt 90% of the readers do either. If that section were all about game taken with patched RB's and traditional guns they'd really have something.
Generally I throw the magazine away after I read Wally Gusler's article.

You to? :bull: :barf: :( :shake:
If the pres of the NMLRA is not a member of this forum he damn well should be.
I have seen so many great hunting stories and pics in the short time I have been on this forum that it totally blows away anything I have read in MB.
Heck Claude lets start our own "traditional mag"
We would blow away the general Public with the ball huckin' huntin' I have seen on this forum.

:bow:

Greenmtnboy said:
If the pres of the NMLRA is not a member of this forum he damn well should be.
I have seen so many great hunting stories and pics in the short time I have been on this forum that it totally blows away anything I have read in MB.
Heck Claude lets start our own "traditional mag"
We would blow away the general Public with the ball huckin' huntin' I have seen on this forum.

:bow:

Maybe the Administrator of the Fourm shouls INVITE the Entire NMLRA BOD to join the Forum, and partisipate in the Fourm, and answer question that come up from time to time about the NMLRA.... :blah:

Gosh, Mike, Me Too. But i have said so to Eric Bye, the editor. He understands my frustration. He says they publish what is sent to them. And, if this forum is a good indicator of how scare Black Powder is, apparently most people have turned to one of the subs to use in hunting. And those who hunt with BP don't take pictures or send them in to MB. Sad.

There's a thought--maybe we need some period-correct fur-trade-era digital cameras to record hunting successes? :grin:

Greenmtnboy said:
Heck Claude lets start our own "traditional mag"....

I came very close to purchasing "Buckskinner Magazine" when it was offered to me, but I knew I wouldn't have had the time or energy to put into it. For my part, I see an online publication being the way of the future. Perhaps someday. :grin:

Hi Many, just wanted to touch base with you on this and see what your thoughts are.

I am going to attend the Sept. Friendship shoot and talked to Winston about addressing a problem I see with the shooting jacket thing.

In past years they have tried to ban them and have had no luck (gee wonder why) could it be their sponsors!

My approach, which I ran past Winston on the phone was not to ban them but to put them all in their own little catagory and get them the hell out of the primitive shooting events. Not just on the primitive side but on the firing line as well. I am an offhand shooter and enjoy the sport imensly but can not see those jackets being used like I had seen this past March in Phoenix. The jacket I saw had obviously been altered and was illegal and I had all I could do to not say something about it. I did inquire though about how to get the subject in front of the board and after talking to Winston he says there will be no problem addressing the board in person. I am prepairing a letter and have sent him, Winston, a rough copy for him to look over. I feel after talking to him he would support this effort but stated that it would be up to the rifle committee and the board members.

What I want to know from you is, what do you think about just putting them in their own catagory and get them the hell out of ours. That would allow the sponsors to keep paying big bucks to these individuals and Friendship won't piss anyone off, like they would by getting rid of them, and we could enjoy shooting amoungst ourselves like it should be without all this stuff.

Second thing I would like to know is how would I go about getting a petition by as many folks as possible between now and the time Friendship starts???? I feel that if I brought my letter to them encouraging them to put these shooting jackets where they belong, in their own catagory, and also presented them with lots and lots of names in favor of this idea that it would carry more weight.

Please let me know what you think and especially let me know how we could get people to sign a petition to get as many shooters names on there as possible!!!

I thought maybe about asking Claud, and I might, about doing a petition on here and get all of us to sign it in the next couple of weeks before I leave out for friendship.

The idea is to get all of the people who oppose shooting jackets in primitive matches even if they are former members of the NMLRA. Perhaps then some might be interested in coming back too if they see things like this being done, favorable things.

Toney (thanks)

I sent Mr. Roland an e-mail explaining why I did not renew. Of course, mine was a little different as some because I don't know all the shooting jacket details, nor the Friendship propaganda. It just boiled down to nickels and dimes. I had to drop it because the fee for renewal was too high when compared with what I got out of it.I am sure that it is a fine organization and it needs our support. I just had to cut the fat a little and it was an expensive mag. subscription. Your opinions are probably varied, with valid reasons. Me, I'm just cheap. :rotf:

Back