• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caliber for small game?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for the best caliber for hunt'n small game...from rabbits, squirrels,turkeys,and Eastern groundhogs? Somewhere between a .32, .36, .40 caliber, any hunt'n experiences will be greatly appreciated! :bow:

I had a .36 for a while that I took squirrels, and a raccoon with. I would try for head shots on the squirrels. You might loose a leg with a body shot. The raccoon was at 40yds and he scurried about 20 yards after he was hit. I was using 40gr of 3F and a .350 ball.

OldRaccoonRifle.jpg

Got a .36 I've used for rabbits. If you don't head shoot 'em, they seem to blow up/turn inside out. Lot's of damage! It's more about shot placement, as you could use a .62 and do the same thing, basically. Check local supplies for round balls, etc. to see what would be easiest to find, if you don't pour your own. Good luck :thumbsup:

I've done most of my small game hunting with a Crockett .32. Other than that I've only used my .36. Either of these will do fine even up to turkey and coons. If you want a more versatile rifle I give the .40 a long look. It's a bit much for the smaller critters but is perfect for 15 pound to 40 pound game. A .32 is a lot like the .22 mag in power while the .40 is comparable to the .22 Hornet. The .36 is right in between these two. Actually any of the three will perform just fine on the game you mention. I'd look more toward the particular rifle than caliber.

very edible,i prefer roasted over an open fire or in the crock pot with BBQ sauce

I have all of those cal. and I can't say one is better than the other. All have worked very well for me. As far as meat damage, I never worry about it, as I head shoot them only, or at least "aim" to.

rodwha said:
Are raccoons edible?

When I was a teen I busted tires at Sears in Denver (cherry creek) & Ran a trap line. I got a lot of razzing about my trapping. So one Friday I slipped in early and put a big platter of “BBQ” on the shelf that was for sharing in the refrigerator.
About 30 people that I worked with thought Raccoon was good eaten. They did seem a bit less happy when I told them what it was well after they had started eating.
I have had it 8 or 10 time & liked it all but one, That one was fishy??? I think it was maybe a super crayfish hunter, or maybe he was working the fish guts at the boat ramp.

The sheep of this world will always hate the sheepdogs,untill the wolves are nipping at their heels.

Sean, I love this. Simple truths.

creek

Im a 40 fan but thats just me. I dont think you could go wrong with 32 or 36 though. With a 40 you can use a 3/8ths ramrod and I dont like loading with the smaller rods

I have hunted small game with a .32 and .36. But since I started with the 20 GA smoothbore and shot, that's all I pretty much take anymore.

I agree with other comments here that with a .36 it's head-shots only...at least with my experience. First squirrel I shot with it was an "up the rear" shot straight up the tree from me and it came down virtually in pieces! I guess I was too used to a .22! My .32 did not do much more damage than a .22 LR.

See my pictures of the skinned squirrel carcasses in the "Still Squirrel'n" post. Those were taken with the 20 GA smoothrifle and #6's at 20 yards. One was broadside, one facing me sitting up. No meat damage to speak of. Had to pick out a few pellets, but not bad at all.

I have a .40 and a 20 gauge. I've taken lots with the 20 gauge, and still working on the .40 bagging some game. Well, depending on the load, you could step down the .36 or .40, and not blow the critters to smithereens.., but it might take some time figuring that out, and you don't want a wounded critter, if it was too light a load.

LD

I use a Crockett in .32 for squirrels and rabbits with a PRB. Then the TOTW .32 maxi for coons and yotes.

Yes they are. I just started a thread in the recipe section. Raccoon Recipes

They are ones I got off the internet and have tried.

As always start with a clean kill to the head. Raccoon are best when taken in the winter months. Cut the jugular vein and hang by tail immediately after the kill. Keep cool until ready to dress. Remove the glands from under the front legs and fleshy part of the rear legs before dressing. Remove as much fat as possible from the carcass. Gut, remove head, tail, and feet, rinse well.

Use sea salt or non iodized salt for the next steps.

Young raccoons can be tenderized by boiling in salted water prior to preparing. Older raccoons need marinating for at least 24 hours.

In a non metallic container mix 2 gallons water with 5 tablespoons baking soda and 1/2 cup salt. Completely submerge Raccoon in brine, refrigerate overnight before preparing. If you are going to store in the freezer for any length of time it is best to vacuum bag it.

Many years ago after a morning of rabbit hunting in the snow w/ beagles, came into the house of my friend's mother and smelled some good food cooking. It was racoon. We sat down and she presented a big platter of breaded, roasted 'coon plus mashed potatoes and squash. One of the best meals I've ever had. Asked her how she did the 'coon and she said that the most important thing to do was to put the meat on the oven grate w/ a drip pan below and at 250 degrees de-fat the meat. The rest of the preparation was breading , browning and roasting.

The times I went to this farm, they often had live racoons in cages waiting to be butchered.... icebox space was at a premium. Also forgot to mention....my friend's mother was a full blooded Ojibwa native American.

I've only used a .45 for small game, so my choice would be a .40.....Fred

Back