• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"calf's knees"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunyan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
While sitting in a drizzly stand on saturday I got to thinking about making one of those calf's knees I've heard about to cover the action on my flintlock. Are these actually made from a calf's knee or is it called that because it looks like one? Can I make one from some deerhide? Or do I need to use a deer's knee? Sadly, I'm being serious. Thanks!

FYI...I have a Leatherman 'cow's knee'...good quality and not expensive...and I found that it works great for tying it on while walking to & from stand locations in the dark to keep branches from catching in the lock mechanism.

But once on stand ready to hunt, I take it off and put it in my pocket, and I just keep the lock area of the rifle up under my hunting coat where it's warm and dry...don't have to worry about taking anything off when a deer comes into view

I just made 3 of them the other day out of some scrap deerhide I had laying around. One for me and two from my brothers. Took me a little over an hour as they are so increadibly easy to make yourself. I used the pattern described in Mark Baker's "A Pilgrim's Journey". I waterprofed them by melting in a mix of beeswax and lard. Works terriffic and a hand made one looks better too.

Thanks guys! I think I'd like to make my own. Is the hide you're using tanned or raw? Is it buckskin or is the hair still on it? If its tanned is a brain tanned hide better than the modern chemical processed skin?

brain tanned or comercial dosen't matter. You are going to saturate it with grease, until it will hold no more, in the waterproofing process. Even rawhide will get flexable with enough of this treatment!

I'm using waxed (beeswax& mutton tallow 50:50) deerskin (side, not knee) currently, but have one made from canvas treated with asphault cut in turpentine that rolled up smaller for carrying in a pouch. That one eventually developed thin spots and was a bit messy to produce. :rolleyes:

Back