• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cadet Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkloos

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know the rifles issued to Cadets at VMI prior to the time when the inline/self contained cartridge system came into play? I know its an obscure question, but i'd be really interested in learning maybe there is an alumnus out there who may know.

VMI has an excellent museum in the chapel basement. I believe they have a ML cadet rifle but would not swear to it. Their web site has contact information under “research”.

In the immediate pre-war period the Springfield-made M1851 cadet musket was on issue to the Keydets. This was a scaled down version of the M1842 musket and was .57 caliber as opposed to it's larger brother which was, of course, .69 caliber. The M1851 was taken back by the Commonwealth and then issued to several companies of Virginia troops and saw action during the Battle of First Bull Run and for a while afterwards. By the time of the battle of New Market in 1864 the Corps of Cadets was armed with the Austrian Lorenz rifle musket, one is on exhibit at The Hall of Valor Museum, a VMI institution, at New Market.

Thankyou! Would this be an appopriate place to inquire about what was used until the m14 was issued not too long ago? Or should I start a new thread in general discussion.

If anyone has information about the VMI Cadets arms prior to the M14, please send Hangfeyer the answer using the Privet Topic system by clicking on his name, and selecting "start a privet topic".

Remember, this site is limited to Muzzleloading guns.

Back