• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's .58 caliber trigger set won't work?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjgreen123

32 Cal.
Reaction score
For some reason I can't get the trigger set to operate on my Cabela's .58 caliber. The main trigger appears to work fine. Any issue with firing the gun without using the trigger set? Any ideas why the set won't work? It is just hard set when the hammer is down or back.

No problem with using just the front, it's designed to do that.
Chances are the screw that adjusts the rear "set" trigger is turned in too far.
By far the easiest way to address issues with that trigger (or any set trigger) is too take it out of the stock and look at it's function while it's in your hand.
We can spend alot of time trying too explain something that's easily seen.
Just pull the trigger guard,,then pull the trigger. If it's never been out it might take some wiggling to git it, but nothing else is affected and nothing will "spring" out of there when ya pull it.
It could be gummed up with dry factory lube or a piece of debrie.

We're going to need more details. What exactly is the set trigger doing or not doing?

I can't tell you what is the matter with it but I have one if you need it. Contact me with a PT. Ron

I have one too, and my guess is that the adjustment screw is set wrong. Before Ron's generous offer of a replacement, I was going to suggest a Davis Deerslayer trigger. They're intended for the TC Hawken but fit the Lyman GPR just fine, so my guess is that they'll fit yours (and mine).

I haven't got around to trying one in my 58, but if yours isn't fixed by adjustment or for some reason Ron's offer doesn't work out for you, get back to me and I'll check mine for fit before you order your own. In my experience they're a significant upgrade over the standard trigger in Lyman and TC.

Necchi's got the best advice. Nothing beats holding the trigger set in your hands and observing how it functions. The two most common issues are;the set screws not adjusted correctly or the trigger bar(s) are not sufficiently clearing the sear bar when everything is assembled. If the triggers work fine outside of the gun, then it is probably the latter. Shimming the front of the trigger plate will usually alleviate that problem.

Let's try a simple sequence and see what's up.
There should be a small screw between the set trigger and trigger. Unscrew that about 3 turns. Try the set trigger. If it sets YAY! If not, back it out another turn or 2. Then with the trigger "set," screw that screw in slowly until the trigger lets off, back the screw out 1/2 turn and set the trigger again. See if the amount of trigger pull is to your liking. Adjust in or out 1/4 turn amounts to get your desired trigger pull.

Back