• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying scrap lead question ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Make friends with the local Redneck Underground, you know, the tradesmen that can be found at bars every Friday night. They know people who know people, cash or beer goes a long way, or trade stuff. Roofers, plumbers, and scrap dealers are the places to go for soft lead these days and if you put your feelers out and build a reputation as "that guy who pays for lead" you will be surprised how much stuff starts showing up.

Make friends with the local Redneck Underground, you know, the tradesmen that can be found at bars every Friday night. They know people who know people, cash or beer goes a long way, or trade stuff. Roofers, plumbers, and scrap dealers are the places to go for soft lead these days and if you put your feelers out and build a reputation as "that guy who pays for lead" you will be surprised how much stuff starts showing up.
You used to be able to get a lot of lead in trade for a case of bud light but I doubt you could get some zinc wheelweights for a case these days.

That would be the Mexican Underground around here. And I have never paid more than a bag of ice and 12 pack of Pepsi for lead.

I have 150 pounds of sailboat ballast in 50 pound blocks.

100 pounds was pure lead.

50 pounds had 4.5% antimony. Add 5% tin and you get Lyman #2ish.

Roto-Metals will test your lead for 50 bucks last time I checked. And provide a report.
The pencil method is a lot cheaper I get my lead from a hospital I used to work at here in middle tenn.

I agree the muffin pan ingots are attractive conveniently sized and all but they don't fit too well in the Lee melting pot.
I have 3 Lee pots. My muffin ingots all fit in my pots..no problems at all. 1 at a time.

LOL ... Oh yeah , they are my people . Was just wonder some different avenues for getting lead . I like to hoard lead and such . I ask folks from.time time . Once I was at a backwoods bar called Jimbos and I asked a fella about lead , boy , was my timing right on . He told me about a truck be very turning and it was full on f lead ingots . Three foot long ingots !! He had the ones he picked up n the back of his truck and he gave me two of them ! I still have one , and that was in the late 90s. Big sucker !

I've watched a fellow melt a 5 gal bucket of wheel weights. The time and effort he took to make 5 lb ingots is more than I am willing to do. Now I suppose that it makes sense if you are shooting 1000's of rounds a year and I know many of you are. I only shoot several 100 a year so I just buy 1 lb ingots from Rotometals. Yes, I pay more than the cost of scrap but I eliminate a huge step in the process. I can spend less total time in bullet casting. Also the 1 lb ingots are much easier to deal with in a average size casting pot. I've tried breaking down larger ingots to pot sized pieces and once was enough for me.

Reactions: TDM
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back