• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Butt plates are tough for me!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric, there is a box in the attic that hasn't been opened in 30 years containing 6 vintage oil lamps.
hand me downs from 5 generations of my Scots wife's family.
i have been told in the deadliest of tones they are off limits. guess i will have to find one on Amazon or some such!
i would leave it lit for more light in my dungeon winter workspace.:ghostly:.

today i make the butt plate and install it as it is snowing again! 😭

So in a box that hasn't been opened for 30 years is better than using them? I'm pretty sure her ancestors would want them used.
you can tell her that! i have tried telling her things like that for 55 years and she just mutters "Old Fool" 🤣
we did use them before we got electricity here but they have been off limits to my clumsy hands forever.

There are so many ways to inlet a butt plate , and so many different kinds , A book could easily be written on the subject. I'm not going there though I've inlet 150 + butt plates. The tools I use are unorthodox as well. Like a band saw , die grinder, and dremel type hand grinder. I'm an impatient sort , and time is money. Would rather spend valuable time on engraving , and carving. I can hear the perfectionists whining now. That's ok , someone has to build $10,000 plus guns. I'm so glad the perfectionists are out there. Who else would carry the gun art profession forward. Not me, I try to build guns for the Pa. flint deer season , and have been successful at that. An old friend and hunting buddy in the stock precarving business , now retired , said one day , "where did all those guns we made get to?" The most of them are still in use , and have just disappeared......Luck to ye...........oldwood :thumb:

I find an oil lamp is the way to go, they are readily available, mine is an old original but cheap modern made ones are available at Walmart along with the lamp oil.

I keep a butane BBQ lighter next to mine and blow it out after every blackening and relight it for the next go round.View attachment 114225
I was gonna grab one of those just yesterday, but the oil said "smakeless". Kinda defeated the purpose.
Does it smoke ok...like a candle when you disrupt toe flame?

you can tell her that! i have tried telling her things like that for 55 years and she just mutters "Old Fool" 🤣
we did use them before we got electricity here but they have been off limits to my clumsy hands forever.

The way things are going you'll be using them again soon enough, as for me I live pretty much off grid already, Solar power during daylight hours and back up Generator at night. Everything has a back up option, A hoard of Candles for my 4 Lanterns; Kerosene for my two Spirit Lanterns, Outdoor wood burning Cooking range and mobile Red Meat producers waiting to be harvested if need be. Rain water tanks, and a Bore for Stock water and Kitchen / Shower needs; etc etc.

The way things are going you'll be using them again soon enough, as for me I live pretty much off grid already, Solar power during daylight hours and back up Generator at night. Everything has a back up option, A hoard of Candles for my 4 Lanterns; Kerosene for my two Spirit Lanterns, Outdoor wood burning Cooking range and mobile Red Meat producers waiting to be harvested if need be. Rain water tanks, and a Bore for Stock water and Kitchen / Shower needs; etc etc.
sounds just like home. our "electricity" is from the sun and batteries. have been off grid 30 years

The flame is only smokeless if the wick is down in the position it would be in to provide lamp light, turn the wick up to provide about a 2" flame and you have a sure enough smoker.

This is the kind of smoke my lamp produces if I hold the part in the tip of the longer flame.

I used to leave my lamp on during a whole inletting session and burned a lot of fuel as well as sooting up my nostrils in the process. Since I started blowing out the flame and relighting my fuel lasts forever and I don't have to go mining for black boogers anymore.

lock inlet black.jpg

Last edited:
There are so many ways to inlet a butt plate , and so many different kinds , A book could easily be written on the subject. I'm not going there though I've inlet 150 + butt plates. The tools I use are unorthodox as well. Like a band saw , die grinder, and dremel type hand grinder. I'm an impatient sort , and time is money. Would rather spend valuable time on engraving , and carving. I can hear the perfectionists whining now. That's ok , someone has to build $10,000 plus guns. I'm so glad the perfectionists are out there. Who else would carry the gun art profession forward. Not me, I try to build guns for the Pa. flint deer season , and have been successful at that. An old friend and hunting buddy in the stock precarving business , now retired , said one day , "where did all those guns we made get to?" The most of them are still in use , and have just disappeared......Luck to ye...........oldwood :thumb:
what? no chainsaw? I feel slighted. :)

Thanks, Eric. I got an old alcohol lamp around here somewhere. I think it might work if I lay hands on it.

I tried the masking tape post by someone else. Yikes, glad I didn't have a smoke alarm! I gave copious amounts of smoke but I find it a little messy. It sure enough works and it would be good for a quickie job, but I don't think I'll use it for long term sessions.

Latest posts

Back