• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Butt plates are tough for me!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocullen

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just resumed building my "squirrel rifle" A 36 Douglas barrel, siler flint kit, davis set trigger kit and a squared off chunk of wood from Pecatonica, I think.
It's been a while as I lost my "hobby" shop usage so it has layed unmolested for a couple of years.

Any how, I had barrel inlayed from original start, ramrod hole routed and drilled and lock inlet.
Got the triggers inlayed Wednesday night after pinning barrel and two forward thimbles.

Yesterday I tackled the butt plate. Them thangs is tough on me. Finally finished fitting it tonight....I think. Gonna go back and look at it tomorrow with fresh eyes.
Burned thru almost a whole candle on it. It's about a 1/16" lower than I planned but it fits me fine.

I've got to see if I can find my butt plate screws, can't seem to lay my hands on them.
Sure hope I don't have to order any.

I think the butt plate is the hardest part to get fit right.
Any pointers, now that I'm pret near satisfied with mine.:doh:

Happy shooting all!

Burning masking tape works better than a candle.
Just take it slow and dont cut corners.
I think it is not hard but it is time consuming. Forget about how long it takes and revel in the accuracy of your work.
I will mention that fitting a checkered steel buttplate to an unmentionable (one with complex curves) I was told to use a release agent on the buttplate and basically glue the buttplate on with araldite. Then tap it to release and you have no gaps. Works but you need a good fit to start.

I'm sure if you do enough of them you can anticipate better of what needs to come off and make it a bit of a quicker process, but slow and steady is the way to do it or else you will end up with a pistol grip...

I use prussian blue, one tube will last a lifetime. Much quicker than the soot processes. And you can use it to detox if you've somehow consumed radioactive material...

Burning masking tape works better than a candle.
Just take it slow and dont cut corners.
I think it is not hard but it is time consuming. Forget about how long it takes and revel in the accuracy of your work.
I will mention that fitting a checkered steel buttplate to an unmentionable (one with complex curves) I was told to use a release agent on the buttplate and basically glue the buttplate on with araldite. Then tap it to release and you have no gaps. Works but you need a good fit to start.

never heard of burning the tape. will try it. I do like the candle tho. Everytime I soot up a piece it makes me reflect if I'm not overly concerned about my progress.:rolleyes:

I'm sure if you do enough of them you can anticipate better of what needs to come off and make it a bit of a quicker process, but slow and steady is the way to do it or else you will end up with a pistol grip...

I use prussian blue, one tube will last a lifetime. Much quicker than the soot processes. And you can use it to detox if you've somehow consumed radioactive material...
I went real slow, when it got a bit close, the scraper finished the job.
Thought I'd been around! Never heard that either.
Should be safe, I just retired from being Radiation Safety Officer.
Of course if someone/somehow goes crazy with nukes.........oh, well, probably not enough Prussian Blue to go around. I do use it for metal to metal tho.

Last gun I did I used lipstick.
Before that the inletting black
We know that some guns did come sans buttplate in the old days, but I think the current popularity of ‘barn guns’ po’r boys ect is because butt plates are such a pia
The big crescent were invented just to frustrate modern builders.
The old guys look down from Heaven and laugh at us

I have trouble with them myself.
But every now and then I can get one nailed down just right...

Attachments

• IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 95
Yes its the most tedious part. Seven different contact points including the toe plate.
I am trying to understand "including the toe plate". I agree with several simultaneous contact points, but do not understand what the toe plate has to do with fitting the butt plate? All my toe plates fit to the butt plate. Help me out here.
Larry

Nice job!! Love those concrete wood forming nails with the double heads!:thumb: Wish I had a nickel for all I drove in my years! Why nails and not temporary screws?
Larry
I did use screws for initial fitting, actually.
The double-heads are comical relief venting of frustration... because I do have trouble with butt plates even on a Kibler pre-drilled SMR.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 55
I am trying to understand "including the toe plate". I agree with several simultaneous contact points, but do not understand what the toe plate has to do with fitting the butt plate? All my toe plates fit to the butt plate. Help me out here.
Larry
I like to file a recess into the butt plate in order to form a butt joint with the toe plate. This makes another point of butt plate contact. Both the butt plate and toe plate often need a little adjusting to get a nice neat fit.

1641761119072.jpeg
1641761145982.jpeg

This was a tough one. It has a toe and it is tapered, ARGH! I think I got it pretty good though. The ram rod entry pipe always gives me trouble, no matter how plain or complex the profile, it is a vexing little devil!
IMG_0520.jpeg

Robby

Did a brass one on my .50 last night. It's one of those new type ones with a plastic butt plate and the barrel has a sling stud that's supposed to hold it in. It's a hawken noveau I guess lol not a pretty gun and I shortened it about 1.5" last week so while I was at it I figured I'd put the brass plate I had on it. Wasn't worried about pretty since I'm going to re stock it at some point. I fitted it with a 4" angle grinder and flap disc 😂 it actually didn't come out terrible on fit. Of course I wasn't worried about it anyways it's a beater lol

Back