• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet board

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. Can you show us the plastic powder tubes you are using? I have wanted to make speed loaders for my .62, but cannot locate the right tubing.
The tubes are glued into the bullet board, but I believe I got them at Cabela's and they came in a set of 4 with grain amount indications on the tube. They may have been Knight Powder tubes. Sorry, that is the best I can do for you.

The tubes are glued into the bullet board, but I believe I got them at Cabela's and they came in a set of 4 with grain amount indications on the tube. They may have been Knight Powder tubes. Sorry, that is the best I can do for you.
but .62 caliber? I know the .54 caliber tubes are made and available. Just have not yet seen .62

When drilling bullet board holes with either a forsttener bit of speed bore bit stop drilling as soon as the pilot point appears on the opposite side. Flip the work piece use the hole the pilot left, and finish drilling the hole. Presto greatly reduced tear out. BJH

When drilling bullet board holes with either a forsttener bit of speed bore bit stop drilling as soon as the pilot point appears on the opposite side. Flip the work piece use the hole the pilot left, and finish drilling the hole. Presto greatly reduced tear out. BJH
don't you know that I meant for that tear out to happen, so I could more easily sand down the perfect thumb-sized area? :D

The tubes are 3/8" in diameter and are graduated for grain charge up to 120 grains.
Yeah I found those with your help, thanks. I guess with the bullet board it’s as close to a .62 cal speed loader as we are gonna get. Last night I did find a purveyor of clear 5/8” polycarbonate tubing, which might be capped somehow. Welp anyhow, this thread highlights just how great a bunch of folks are gathered together on this site. I really enjoy and appreciate your help.

I appreciate that, my type A personality won’t allow tear out. I’d rather chamfer the holes with a tapered grinding stone chucked in a drill press. BJH

I use counter sinks of various sizes to chamfer the holes. A 82 degree angle works well in a drill press.

Another thing I have done to deal with tear-out is to start with stock thicker than needed, bore the holes, and then take off the extra wood to get your piece down to the thickness you want. The superficial chipping or tearing comes off with the waste.

I recognize this method is not always feasible, but it is one more possible option for your "bag of tricks."

Notchy Bob

So so much talent here, and I can’t even count to 82 degrees much less figure out what it is. However, I am presently prepping for a colonoscopy, and I seem to be very good at it.

Grimord, I’m partial to the 32 cal squirrel ball board. All the other ones look nice too.

Back