• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building longrifle in winter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldhunter

54 Cal.
Reaction score
OK gurus, I need your advice. :bow:

Is the cold weather bad for a stock while it is being built. More to the point, my work shop is in my garage and I plan on putting together a rock lock this winter. It does get cold in there, like most garages do (even using a space heater). Is this going to effect the wood on an unfinished stock? Especially a long rifle? Could it warp? It is relatively dry here in winter, even though it can snow quite a bit.

If it can effect the wood, could keeping the barrel clamped in the stock while not working on it help prevent damage?

It would help if you can keep humidity at a moderate level. Yes I would leave it in the stock when practical.

I have built my two in the garage here in GA during both cold and hot & humid weather. I work in the garage then bring the gun into the house when I amm not working on it. I have had no problem. Just keep the barrel in the stock as much as possible.

Goldhunter said:
OK gurus, I need your advice. :bow:

Is the cold weather bad for a stock while it is being built. More to the point, my work shop is in my garage and I plan on putting together a rock lock this winter. It does get cold in there, like most garages do (even using a space heater). Is this going to effect the wood on an unfinished stock? Especially a long rifle? Could it warp? It is relatively dry here in winter, even though it can snow quite a bit.

If it can effect the wood, could keeping the barrel clamped in the stock while not working on it help prevent damage?

Over the years I have built year round, tried to seal the wood in several ways. But, with seasonal changes, the furniture and tang on more than a few, goes from a bit proud, to slightly recessed.

I always keep the forestock stabilized with a barrel or something similar, otherwise can lead to grief, they can warp into some weird shapes at times.

I've been building in a simular situation for 30+ years & never had a problem. To me the potential problem is a piece of wood with high moisture. It shrinks as you open it up & you're always refitting things as you build it.

Thanks for the replies.

Doc, that's actually one of the things I thought about doing to help prevent something from happening. Thanks

Ya say your building in your garage? How quaint. Think of it as a 18th century gunsmiths shop! I'm all for a heated area and properly lite shop, corner of the room, or where ever you wife banishes you to practice an outdated trade on some expensive parts.But, when you really think about it, they didn't have a controlled envoirment either. The area was heated by either a forge, which was more than likely opened to the outside, or a very inefficant fireplace. But I'm sure they took precauions to having their labors cheated by the elements. Keeping the barrel in the stock at all time was probably the most observed. Good luck on all your projects. ...George F.

George F. said:
... or where ever you wife banishes you to practice an outdated trade on some expensive parts. ...George F.

:rotf: :rotf: Aint that the truth.

More seriously, I hadn't thought of it that way until I read your post. Good point. Thanks. I'm looking forward to the project.

You should make the gun in the basement where the temp and humidity are easier to control!

Latest posts

Back