Hey guys, I'm going to add some updates and ask more questions.
Since my last update I got the ramrod guides inlet and pinned. I sanded and shaped the ramrod a little bit.
I also shaped, inlet and pinned the trigger guard and tapped it for screws.
I also sanded on the lock and some of the brass too. Trying to get that stuff a little further along.
It may not sound like much but it took me a couple of days of working in between my job and life in general.
Full disclosure here: I cut the front lug on my trigger guard a little shorter than I wished I had.
I read Dave's advice after I had already cut it.
Anyway, I must persevere so I drilled a bit low but as high as I could to keep the pin behind the lock plate and side plate.
My first shot was a bit too high and I just grazed the top of my lug.
So I tried again and went a little down to the side and shot at a bit of an angle and managed to get it in a decent spot.
After that I actually sanded a toothpick down until I could soak it in some titebond III and push it through the bad hole as a plug.
You live and learn, right? I'll know better next time.
Next project is going to be the butt cap I guess.
My first question is: Should I inlet this thing like Martin Houston does in his video series or should I do it by annealing the stirrups and bending them out?
I'm going to look around and do some research before I start but I thought I would ask you guys here first.
You have been very kind and helpful so far.
Also, I'd like to have a belt hook on this thing.
I have to say that I'm not 100% pleased with the looks of the belt hook that I got with this kit from MBS.
I've seen others out there from different retailers.
I've seen some good ideas on a home made one too.
What do you guys think about this?
Hi, I am working on an early pattern Brown Bess and on a rifle for my blind friend, Josh. I am also starting a close copy of the Edward Marshall rifle but have to wait for delays in getting parts. While I wait, I thought I would build this pistol, which is a kit that was offered by the late...
The originals for dragoons and naval service had belt hooks. It was a plain hook 4" long with straight sides. The tab for the screw angles downward from the hole so most of the base rests on the side plate, not over the stock. The cavalry versions did not have hooks and were carried in saddle holsters. FYI, you are building a model 1733 French cavalry pistol, which was the first official model adopted by the French army and navy.
Hey Dave, the kit that I bought from MBS is advertised as a "1733-1760 French Dragoon Cavalry Pistol".
I understand that there are "D" versions and "C" versions that can be made from the same kit.
I also understand that I don't have the engraving skills to make this a fancy officers gun nor do I know all the differences between the two.
With that said, I am just a beginner and I'm just building this for my own entertainment. I'm not going to participate in any reenactments and I doubt this pistol will ever be "judged" for it's historical accuracy by anyone outside of these message boards. If it doesn't live up to the judges on the internet I think I can live with that.
I'm really just testing my skill, learning some new stuff and trying to build myself a cool BP pistol.
Please don't take this the wrong way. I have learned a lot from reading your posts and I appreciate you keeping me on the straight and narrow path. I agree with you that a lot of the modern made replica's that I have seen online really don't have the same slim and elegant lines of the 275+ year old originals. I am going to try to stay true to form as close as I can. I am using historical examples and museum pieces as a template. Plus I am paying close attention to what you and some others on message boards have been telling me.
With all that said, I'm still going to put a belt hook on it because I just want to.
Here is my mostly assembled pistol.
I still have some shaping and a lot of sanding to do.
Obviously the wood needs finish too.
All the metal still needs to be smoothed out and polished.
I drilled the pins for the barrel, thimbles and trigger guard but I haven't installed them yet.
I also need to figure out if I am going to use a pin or a screw for the buttcap retainer.
I'm also going to replace or remove the belt hook that's on it in these pics.
Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it so far.
Maybe it's just the picture but, the edges of the lock look like they are down below the edges of the wood. If this is really happening, the wood adjacent to the lock should be sanded down until they match the chamfer on the lock by using a sanding block to keep the surface flat.
Yeah Zonie, it's not above it. The lock is sticking out a little bit.
I am taking it slow because obviously you can't put wood back on there once it gone..
It could probably go down another hair or two.