• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building a pistol kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I'm going to add some updates and ask more questions. :)
Since my last update I got the ramrod guides inlet and pinned. I sanded and shaped the ramrod a little bit.
I also shaped, inlet and pinned the trigger guard and tapped it for screws.
I also sanded on the lock and some of the brass too. Trying to get that stuff a little further along.
It may not sound like much but it took me a couple of days of working in between my job and life in general. šŸ˜©
IMG_20210408_075047477.jpg
IMG_20210409_082628126.jpg

Full disclosure here: I cut the front lug on my trigger guard a little shorter than I wished I had.
I read Dave's advice after I had already cut it. :doh:

Anyway, I must persevere so I drilled a bit low but as high as I could to keep the pin behind the lock plate and side plate.
My first shot was a bit too high and I just grazed the top of my lug.
So I tried again and went a little down to the side and shot at a bit of an angle and managed to get it in a decent spot.
After that I actually sanded a toothpick down until I could soak it in some titebond III and push it through the bad hole as a plug.
You live and learn, right? I'll know better next time. šŸ˜„
IMG_20210409_083436491.jpg
IMG_20210409_083450431.jpg

Next project is going to be the butt cap I guess.
My first question is: Should I inlet this thing like Martin Houston does in his video series or should I do it by annealing the stirrups and bending them out?
I'm going to look around and do some research before I start but I thought I would ask you guys here first.
You have been very kind and helpful so far. :cool:
IMG_20210409_080643825.jpg
IMG_20210409_080652236.jpg

Also, I'd like to have a belt hook on this thing.
I have to say that I'm not 100% pleased with the looks of the belt hook that I got with this kit from MBS.
I've seen others out there from different retailers.
I've seen some good ideas on a home made one too.
What do you guys think about this? :dunno:

IMG_20210409_080518140.jpg

Thanks Dave.
I really appreciate the fact that you are so willing to help and share information.
That is something that is becoming more and more rare these days.
So, thank you again. :cool:

Hi,
I just looked at videos posted by Houston. Based on his chunky stock shaping I suspect he has limited experience handling and examining original pistols.

dave

Only suggestion I can give is find a local CNC shop and design your own belt hook. You could get a one of a kind for a real reasonable price.

Hi,
The originals for dragoons and naval service had belt hooks. It was a plain hook 4" long with straight sides. The tab for the screw angles downward from the hole so most of the base rests on the side plate, not over the stock. The cavalry versions did not have hooks and were carried in saddle holsters. FYI, you are building a model 1733 French cavalry pistol, which was the first official model adopted by the French army and navy.

dave

Hey Dave, the kit that I bought from MBS is advertised as a "1733-1760 French Dragoon Cavalry Pistol".
I understand that there are "D" versions and "C" versions that can be made from the same kit.
I also understand that I don't have the engraving skills to make this a fancy officers gun nor do I know all the differences between the two.
With that said, I am just a beginner and I'm just building this for my own entertainment. I'm not going to participate in any reenactments and I doubt this pistol will ever be "judged" for it's historical accuracy by anyone outside of these message boards. If it doesn't live up to the judges on the internet I think I can live with that.
I'm really just testing my skill, learning some new stuff and trying to build myself a cool BP pistol.
Please don't take this the wrong way. I have learned a lot from reading your posts and I appreciate you keeping me on the straight and narrow path. I agree with you that a lot of the modern made replica's that I have seen online really don't have the same slim and elegant lines of the 275+ year old originals. I am going to try to stay true to form as close as I can. I am using historical examples and museum pieces as a template. Plus I am paying close attention to what you and some others on message boards have been telling me.
With all that said, I'm still going to put a belt hook on it because I just want to. ;)

Hi,
Build whatever you want. I 've endeavored to provide you with accurate information about the gun you are attempting to make. You may or may not take my advice and that is OK.
dave

Here is my mostly assembled pistol.
I still have some shaping and a lot of sanding to do.
Obviously the wood needs finish too.
All the metal still needs to be smoothed out and polished.
I drilled the pins for the barrel, thimbles and trigger guard but I haven't installed them yet.
I also need to figure out if I am going to use a pin or a screw for the buttcap retainer.
I'm also going to replace or remove the belt hook that's on it in these pics.
Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it so far. :)
IMG_20210411_201624065.jpg
IMG_20210411_201624065.jpg
IMG_20210411_201639591.jpg
IMG_20210411_201720222.jpg
IMG_20210411_201740005.jpg

Hi,
Build whatever you want. I 've endeavored to provide you with accurate information about the gun you are attempting to make. You may or may not take my advice and that is OK.
dave
And I thank you for that.
You have been very helpful. :cool:

It's not perfect.
I've got some gaps here and there I'm going to work on.
I'm loving the looks of it though. :)

Maybe it's just the picture but, the edges of the lock look like they are down below the edges of the wood. If this is really happening, the wood adjacent to the lock should be sanded down until they match the chamfer on the lock by using a sanding block to keep the surface flat.

Yeah Zonie, it's not above it. The lock is sticking out a little bit.
I am taking it slow because obviously you can't put wood back on there once it gone..
It could probably go down another hair or two. šŸ˜Ž
IMG_20210412_213421349_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210412_213441477.jpg

Back