• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Builders kit deals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Think $675 shipped is about as good as it gets. That's TVM. Colerain barrel, l&r siler lock, and all the small parts. Thinking late lancaster 36 inch either RH 45 cal or LH 36 cal, both 13/16ths.

I want a kit where I I let most stuff, lock, butt, trigger, ect.

Trying to save a few bucks so I can buy a new meat grinder too....

And for your $675.00 tang is fully inlet and bedded and lock is almost there too. working on my 2nd from TVM.
I've been extremely happy with their kits. First kit took them only 7 days to have ready for me.

Hermit, yes building their Tenn. rifle went with 36" long bbl. and super premium wood.
1st kit was a So. mountain kit with plain wood went together pretty easy but once I get this one done i'm going to go back and change some stuff on the stock, thin it up a little reshape comb.

MY early Virginia from 2014 did not come with the tang inlet or even the tang breeched to the barrel. I had to trim 2 or 3 threads off the breech to get it flush and timed.

TVM sells two levels of kits. The least expensive is what they call, "the builder's kit". This one is meant for experienced, not necessarily professional builders, The second one is their home, hobbyist kit which has all the major work already done. Yes, there is a price difference.

Honestly I honestly think kits are really part sets, and a set of parts set is a challangle for most novice builders. Require lots of tool, skills most novices do not have.

Some vendor, traders, or what ever you wish to call these merchants sell "IN THE WHITE GUNS", not so much of a learning curve, and your chances of having a successful complete project are with an "IN THE WHITE GUN" is better then very good.

I started a Toool & Die Apprenticeship, and had two year done, when I change vocations. Honestly I am kind of a person with 10 THUMBS, would not take on a part kit personally.

Might go for an "IN THE WHITE GUN" as most of the thing you can easily be screw up, are already done.

Think of an "IN THE WHITE" as a stock car that already run, but the fun of the read to drive is the personalization you can do.

JMHO. I could turn a $700.00 set of parts into $25.00 worth of scrap. :doh:

Danny Caywood & Tip Curtis both sell in the white guns.

Anybody can be a gun builder.
All you need is a big hammer, wood filler, duct tape, more wood filler, and paint....lots of paint.
With time you get a little better. :doh:
Seriously, a good friend is an avid BP shooter, three or four times a week.
I built a Dikert rifle for him a few years ago, he already had a couple of rifles.
So he bought a Chambers kit.
For a first timer, I was amazed. He is a natural.
I helped him with the metal work, he did most of the work, but I had the tools.
So all the credit goes to Trapper Tom on making a beautiful gun as well as it can shoot.

Fred

They are ALL a challenge for me. Buuut, I want a Kibler SMR kit so bad I can almost taste it.

Kibler's kits are like jig saw puzzles. Everything is basically ready to go and probably what a lot of people think they are getting when they order a kit from other suppliers. In the end you get a very nice
rifle but there is still margin for error. But every thing that can be done for you is. Nto so with most kit guns.

Kit guns by and large are still a challenge for beginners. The TOW Fusil kit guns I've seen were much less of a challenge than say the Chambers York and Lancaster kits I've done for people. Of course I think Fusil is a simpler project. When it comes to adding say a patchbox to a rifle kit, whether wooden or metal, you are going to another level altogether not to mention carving simple lockpanel and cheekpiece details..

What I found on the latest TOW fusil kit I did was the barrel and breech tang were close but still required careful fitting. The trigger needed to be cut to depth and pinned and the trigger plate required some widening of the trigger slot and inletting with trigger adjustment (width of the trigger had to adjusted so it fit into the plate slot and still be pinned properly). The buttplate required some inletting right at the heel - take it easy and remove a bit of wood, fit , repeat. Ditto with the trigger guard. The entry thimble is always a challenge for beginners and a whole thread could be dedicated to that task and this kit is no different. As you begin each task it would be a good idea to ask questions here to get guidance or confirmation that you are on the right trail.

Back