• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben K

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As you guys might know, I'm very new to the game of shooting and hunting with a muzzleloader. Well, today was a lucky day, and I was blessed with my first success - and meat. My lady and I walked into the bush early in the morning, and quietly and slowly stalked along with a good breeze in our faces. My first stalk got me in range of a nice cow, but I then noticed she had a calf, and so I backed away and left them to it none the wiser. At one stage the sun lit on something red moving through the grass toward us, and we ducked down, thinking it was a scrub bull. It turned-out to be a yearling buffalo covered in red mud, on his own - strangely - and too cute to shoot. He cut our wind and ran. A little later we disturbed a wild dog who'd been resting in some shady patch of pandanus by a spring, and he proved too skittish to present an opportunity. As the day heated and the swampy creek ended, we had about reached our turn-around point, three kilometres from the Toyota. And then I noticed that slight patch of buffalo hide gleaming in the distance, immediately swallowed-up by the scrub. One last try. Off we went, and soon realised it was a young bull worth a good try. The wind was good, but the terrain was fairly open, with the bull commencing his midday rest in a patch of shade on the edge of the burned-out country. There was just enough cover to get close enough for stalk, and at that point I kicked my sandals off and dropped my pack, hat and binocular, leaving it all with Meg. I had two rifles to stalk with: The CVA Mountain Rifle, .54", and the heavy double - in case something went wrong for either me or the bull. Sneaking through the grass I got to about forty-five metres or so. It turned out to be a pair of young bulls. Eventually they noticed my presence, but couldn't figure me out. The larger of the two stood to face me, and he was the one I wanted. I prepared for a shot, but he didn't present. Much of him was hidden by the grass. After some time I decided to wriggle over to a termite hill, which opened the view somewhat. I practiced sighting, but don't have the confidence or experience or skill for a headshot - too risky. At one point the buffalo turned broadside, and I hoped it would pause enough to let me shoot. But it was just tired of trying to figure me out, and lay down. I thought I might slowly stand-up behind a tree, to use it as a rest. I thought the movement might make them stand and present out of curiosity, but it didn't. I had to wave and click my fingers for some time before they noticed, and then we were back to that front-on presentation. Despite my firm belief in heavy hitting Nitro Express cartridges for buffalo, I've also killed quite a few with arrows or smaller cartridges, and with that background knowledge I know of their vulnerability to a well-placed shot into their chest from front-on or slightly quartering-on. And that's the shot I took as it opened-up, slipping that diminutive hardened lead roundball into the junction of his chest and neck, and through to the major vessels beyond. The smoke cleared, and the bull was not doing well. I loaded safely but as fast as I could, and crashed another ball into his chest. Leaving a good blood trail, he couldn't walk too far before sitting down to die. I reloaded and brained him into happier pastures beyond the stars. My dream of making meat with a muzzleloader and roundball had finally come true, and I felt very grateful. It was a long, hot, heavy hike back to the ute, thankfully with a dip in a cool, flowing creek to help us along our way. Now I'm looking-forward to dinner!

I'll post the series of photos that my lovely lady, Meg, took.

I also want to say how grateful I am for the information I've found here, for the answers you guys have given to my questions, and especially to Andrew for selling me his old rifle, and to Owen for sending me the roundballs to shoot. It was Owen's hardened .535" roundballs that did the job. Thank you! I wouldn't be shooting without Owen's kindness, as my order from Track of the Wolf got confiscated by Customs, and now I have to wait to get the special permit from the Police to send to them so they'll release my parcel. It turns out that lead roundballs are a prohibited item! Customs and Police are very good about it, very helpful. They just have to enforce the rules, and it was an honest mistake on my part. Anyway, I hope to be casting my own soon enough. Cheers!

Thanks for reading about my adventure, folks! Kind regards, Ben

I accidentally wrote that roundballs are a prohibited item, and now I can't edit it. What I meant to write was they are a prohibited import without a permit.

Also, I was using 100 grains of Alliant Black MZ.

Nice work Ben! Nice to see the old rifle used to good effect! Any idea of how the roundballs performed? Hope it still shoots straight. Congratulations.

PS: Might want to try a few of them fancy paragraphs next time :wink:

Very nice. How is the meat? Our bison here in the states is pretty tough, but it make great hamburger!
Well done.
Nit Wit

Mate, it shoots real straight, I reckon!

Unfortunately I couldn't do an autopsy - just too far from the vehicle and the day was only getting hotter.

The meat is awesome! Ate some tonight! It has earned a bad reputation for being tough and inedible, but you just have to know how to prepare it and all is well! I love the stuff!

Great hunt and great pics. The photographer had to have as steady nerves as you. Congrats to both. I felt some of the excitement of the hunt just looking at the pictures and reading of your adventure. :thumbsup:

Ben, your post really made my day! :thumbsup:

I've been following your posts detailing your entry into traditional BP shooting with interest. Thrilled to see that you got a good chance at a nice animal and made a quick clean kill. Your lady takes some very fine pictures...must be the zoom that makes the gap between you and the Buff seem more like 45 feet than 45 meters!

Also, you guys in Australia kill me with statements like "I kicked off my sandals..." I'm so chicken of all your poisonous stuff (snakes, spiders, etc) I'd still be nervous in snakeboots much less sandals, and then barefoot! :shocked2: :grin:

Anyway...a hearty congratulations! Very well done. :hatsoff:

It sure looks closer than 45 meters in the photos. Congratulations on a fine hunt.

I too have all kinds of reservations about sandals - even tennis shoes. Knee-high boots and Wranglers for me.
Carrying out that much meat 1.8 miles is another problem for me. It's good that you are young.

Thanks for the report. And congratulations on a job well done. :thumbsup:

Larry

Back