• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo Powderhorn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Suri

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All I have just finished making a new powder horn out of a black buffalo horn with an Eastern yellow pine base. My question is would this type of horn be appropriate for a mid- eighteenth century Eastern long hunter/scout type or should it be a Mountain Man type persona??
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

There were a lot of buffalo's (how come buffalo is proper for both one or for many of them?) East of the Mississippi during the mid 18th century.

They were a slightly smaller species than the Plains buffalo but they were buffalo, (bison for you picky people) just the same.

Don't know if I can figure out how to do it, but maybe I can post a picture of the horn!

One of the famous long hunters (Simon Kenton?) had a buffalo powder horn. The photo was posted here a year or so ago. IAE- both pc for long hunter and mountain man.

Buffalo/Bison were common in Virginia in the 17th & 18th centuries. William Byrd refers to Bison in 1620 when surveying the VA southern border line and there are references to the capture & domestication of Bison by the Huguenots at Manikintown in 1701. As it happens, I live a few miles from what is now Manakin-Sabot, VA and the back border of my farm is Buffalo Creek. That said, the area & period powder horns that I have seen are all cow.

they're available, but they've become more expensive than they used to be (but then again, what hasn't?) ...

watch the overall geometry when you make yours - I tried to make one in the geometry that I use for cow horns and it looks somehow unbalanced ... you want the handle portion longer than a cow horn one, in my opinion... there are some good horn websites out there...

bison seems more striated than cowhorn - so the grain of the horn is more pronounced ... this doesn't really matter all that much sine (as the horn is already black) you won't scrim it after all ...

bison softens using the hot veggie oil method, just like cowhorn ... don't bother with boiling water - the water doesn't get hot enough to 'get 'er done,' and all you end up with is a clean horn in the same shape, and a bunch of funky, nasty smelling water.

good luck with your project, and

make good smoke!

Have the same black buffalo horn that I made approx.; 30 yrs ago. Still looks great even today. Of course I baby it now and do not do rendezvous or re-enactments.

I'll second that difference in texture. A cowhorn is like a finger nail, a smooth solid material. The buffalo horn is more fiberous.

Buffalo horn works and looks good. I made mine in 1980 and it still looks and works great for keeping my powder dry. Never need another horn.

A buffalo horn for the mid 18th century eastern impression would be quite correct. At that time, the American Bison ranged widely over nearly the whole North American continent. It was, of course, more abundant in some areas than in others but they were a common food item and source for tools, clothes, robes, etc. for most all Native Americans. Therefore, the horns would have been available in the East by either killing a buffalo or trading with the Native Americans.

Thank you I would like to be able to post a picture of the horn but Iam having trouble getting my picture to post. I will keep trying

Some horns have a full 90 degree bend, any tips on drilling a hole at the tip?
And, was there a change in style of plug, etc between an eastern horn made with buffalo and those used by mountain men? For example- square nails versus brass tacks.

Here is a picture of the buffalo horn I have been talking about (Hope it posts). It holds about a pound of powder and the measure throws about 70 grains.

MyHorn_zps3bd91339.jpg
[/URL][/img]

As far as drilling the hole, Two people together helps. One drilling and one watching to make sure the drill is straight both vertical and horizontal. I used Eastern Pine(Thought that would be right) for the plug and a hand forged iron staple to attach the woven cord.

Back