• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo Bullets? where to find?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan Grotheer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all. Finally took some time to shoot my traditions .50 cal kentucky style pistol. Really enjoying it! My loading went from 25 then to 30grs. of FFG with a Buffalo bullet that weighs 240grs.
First off since I'm green with this stuff, Is this load acceptable? It didn't seem excessive when I shot.

Second, I purchased these bullet\conicals at a local pawn shop. I did an internet search of buffalo bullet company and couldn't find muzzleloading ammunition on their site. Did they quit making these? Is there a different company? And does anyone know where I could purchase like bullets from another source. I'm liking them for ease of loading, and given the possibility of a close range shot this fall on the whitetails.

Try this link for a 245 grain .50 cal Ball-et
BUFFALO BALL-ET AT DIXIE

I'm not sure where you plan to hunt with your pistol but by all means check with the Game & Fish department to see if your gun is legal to use on deer.

Many States do not allow Pistols for larger game like deer and some of those who do require a minimum caliber or energy from the load.

If your using GOEX 2Fg powder, Lyman's BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK shows a .50 cal pistol with an 8 inch barrel delivering a muzzle velocity of 771 ft/sec & muzzle energy of 323 ft/lbs when shooting a 30 grain powder load under a 245 grain Ball-et.
Increasing the powder load to 35 grains raises the muzzle velocity to 852 ft/sec & 395 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

Their max load listing for this Ball-et is 40 grains of 2Fg giving a muzzle velocity of 908 ft/sec & 449 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

Missouri allows the use of any muzzleloading firearm as long as it is .40 cal or larger. Plus you can carry both a rifle and pistol in ML season. My only plan would be to shoot a doe that might wander within about 25yds by happenstance. No longer range ideas.

And I'm currently using pyrodex(like I said a little green). Haven't experimented with any other powders yet, but I was thinking that perhaps a bump to 35grs would be acceptable.

And thanks for the link.

I'm thinking the standard bullet would be more ideal in penetration for the pistol than a hollow-point given the lower velocity and energy ratings ?

Well, at the risk of sounding like a stuffy old Traditional Muzzleloader, hollow points are out.
They didn't exist prior to the 1865 time limit our forum aims at. If they did qualify I would say they are not needed.

The .50 caliber is larger than those other things expand to and what your wanting here with pistol velocities is penetration. The large diameter of the bullet will take care of the rest.

If you keep your shot at 25 yards or less and you place it into the chest cavity you should be able to take a doe.

That said,

I Shoot At Least 30 Grains In My .50 cal. And Sometimes I've Shot 40 Grains In My Trapper. This Has Had No Ill Effect That I Can See In My Gun. Yours Could Be Different, But Boy It's Sure Fun !! Nilo52 :applause:

Latest posts

Back