• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buck or Doe skin..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife got to wondering out loud about how do you tell the difference between the two.
Anyone here got the answer cause it sure stumped me..? :hmm:

If tanned, I doubt you could tell the difference between a young buck and an old doe, but an older mature buck should be thicker. Given equal maturity, the doe should be slightly thinner and more pliable, but the difference could be minimal depending on the tanning process used.

Many years ago, I started sending my deer skins, both buck and doe, to a tannery to be tanned and sent back to me. I saved them up to make a jacket. Even after I had the jacket made, I kept sending my skins off to be tanned and returned to me. I have a box full of them and I'll be danged if I can tell any difference, other than sizes, from one to another.

+1 -- TOO FUNNY - :haha: :rotf: :rotf: :grin: :hatsoff: .

No self respecting brave would wear doe skins. Neither would any Indian princess wear buck skin. Would you? Now how do you tell the difference? Damifiknow. I do know that Bucks have those pointy things on their heads and dangly things tween their legs and they disappear during hunting season, does don't has those things and they hang around if there is no doe season.

Back