• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buck n' Ball Loads in a Trade Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.G. Terry

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So far, I've gotten off to a good start with my newly built flint trade gun. It's got a Track .62 cal bbl. I would like to shoot some ball and buck loads but there is not much data out there. Can you folks give me some directions on this project. Thanks for you Help.

J.G.T.

Bezon,
In my 20 bore (.62cal) I use 75 grains 3F and a tow wad. Then a .600 ball and then 3 #4 Buck. over that another wad of tow and ready to rock.

You can experiment with powder charge 5 grains either way, And reversing the buck and ball combination. I have heard of good success both ways.

Some folks use 2F instead of 3F. I prefer 3F.

Shoot at your 4X4 target at 30 to 50 yards (your range preferance) and see what patterns best for your gun.

don't take offense to this, but why would you want to shoot buck and ball out of a 20ga? there is really no practical purpose for this loading.

medic302 said:
don't take offense to this, but why would you want to shoot buck and ball out of a 20ga? there is really no practical purpose for this loading.

A better question would be, why not? Sometome you gotta do things just for "poops and giggles"...

Snow

No offense taken. Many trade guns originally appeared to be 24 gauges. It is unlikely that this ball and buck loading was totally unknown in the day. It appeared that the first reply was based on experience and that ball n' buck will work in the smaller bore guns. Ball n' buck loads appeared to work very well in .69 caliber arms.

Many like to play with loads known to be used in the past, as for practical a buck and ball load in a .62 bore is a good Deer load at very close range 10-15 yds from my testing,(.600 ball and 6 .30 shot atop it, smallest size leagal here)it will put a lot of lead in a Deer up close and might keep him from stepping back into the briars, a very specific load for sure and one must hold their water for only the ideal shot, but it will work, I don't think I would go any smaller in bore size than the .62 myself for this type of usage.in the past it was a very practical load in warfare in some types of engagments.I like to find the heaviest conical made for the bore size I am using and stay under that with the combo of ball and shot, I prefer using a quality barrel for this type of shooting, original smoothriflres were often made with stout barrels out to the muzzle compared to fowlers or trade guns, some say it is to hanlde the buck and ball loads.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, in the past few years, a body was dug up at Jamestown where there were wounds that indicated a buck and ball load went into the deceased' leg. It does not appear to have been unknown from that time, and I recall reading somewhere, it was still in use during the Civil War.

The Doc is out now. :thumbsup:

Good morning
Buck & Ball is a deadly combination under 50 yards. On massed troops out to 100 yards it was very nasty. There were CW regiments who near rebeled when ordered to turn in their loved caliber .69 smoothy´s for the caliber .58´s.
All that would apply to any breathing body. Punch a caliber.60 hole through a torso and add multiple smaller caliber holes, that torso is going to leak out real fast. Not to mention all the other vital organ damage caused by those other pistol caliber RB´s bouncing around inside.

Why those are plenty good reasons !
Have the stuff I get done are for the fun of it.. then some actually pan out to reasonable and others... :rotf:

Thanks for the information. We'll do some more shooting next month and will try some ball and buck among others. John Anderson, the builder, is still working other bugs out of the gun. Black power shooters are a good lot!!!

You might look in the July/August, 2002 issue of Muzzleloader. They used buck & ball in both the 20 and 28 guage.

I have read and re-read that article. The fellow who wrote it sure seems to know what he is talking about.
p

Back