• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buck and shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Hay guys I read about buck and ball what about buck and shot for turky size game.
What are the thoughts on this :thumbsup:

You mean a duplex load like 000 Buck and #2 shot? Guess it ought to work, but at some point the little shot gets passed by the larger and no matter how you place them to begin they'll be klonking into each other.

I am thinking about one once # 6 or 4 with maby six or eight 000 or 00 out of a full jug choke.
I haven't tinkered with 000 but was brain storming. I know I will get increased recoil but am not sure of accuracy. Coyote Joe is putting a full jug choke on my smoothbore at this time. I thought hay maby somebody else has used buck and shot for close range turkey.

With a full choke a good load of #5 or #6 shot should be all you need. And better check you regs. We can't use any shot bigger than #2 for turkeys here.

Ya I live here in CO and turkey hunt with # 6. Am not sure about legal shot size only because I have never used anything other than #6. Was just tinkering with the 00 buck thought.

I think due to the extreme differences in shot size, the intended result on either size will be compromised at best.

I was thinking so as well but I guess a little time on the bench once I get my smooth bore back will be the clincher.

Wall galldangit boy I done toldja that thar aina gona work!! :haha:
First off, no, buckshot is not allowed for turkey, nothing larger than "T" whatever that is.
Second, to get any sort of pattern with buck it has to fit the bore in layers so the pellets are not jammed against each other as they are blasted up the bore. In a 20 gauge that means nothing larger than #1 buck.
Thirdly, if that is wordly, number four shot will have plenty of penetration for body shots on turkey out to 40 yards or so, and number two shot will do well past 60 yards.
And lastly, mixing sizes in a load will likely only ruin the pattern of either one.

CoyoteJoe said:
First off, no, buckshot is not allowed for turkey, nothing larger than "T" whatever that is.

Funny, I have killed many in the fall with #4 buckshot. :hatsoff:

We cant either during the spring gobbler season.
Prefer the fall when you can use turkey dogs :thumbsup:

"to get any sort of pattern with buck it has to fit the bore in layers so the pellets are not jammed against each other as they are blasted up the bore"

How does that work with 20th century buckshot shells, you can get a number of sizes in 12 gauge. not all layer in the bore

amodern shells use synthetic buffers, like GREX, to fill the gaps between the pellets of Buckshot. They also put them in a heavy( thick) plastic shotcup, neither of which are used in traditional BP shotgun loads. A lot of the buckshot loads will also have a card wad in the bottom of the shotcup to deal with the rounded tapered bottom edge of the cup. With some buckshot, the taper and rounding doesn't cause a problem: with other sizes it can. Layering, with a thin OS card between the layers is probably the best way to load buckshot in a ML shotgun. There is a table in the back of Dixie GW's catalogue that tells how much of each size of buckshot can be put in each gauge in layers.

In Michigan, we can't use anything larger than #4 bird shot on turkeys. I do plan on doing some buckshot load workups in my Bess using #000 buck and cream of wheat filler for deer. I also plan on using a full size fiber cushion wad below the buck as well.

Remington makes a commercial duplex load of #4 and #6 for turkey so you might want to give it a try in your smoothie as well.

Because I have no choke in my fowler, only with the #4 shot loaded on top of the #6 shot will I get any kind of pattern with either.

*hawkeye* said:
Remington makes a commercial duplex load of #4 and #6 for turkey so you might want to give it a try in your smoothie as well.

I vote it as a gimmick by Remington as much a Remington fan as I am.
Either way you look at it you are only getting a half a load of whatever is needed best down range... be it 4's or 6's.

TG, I think you'll find that loaded in plastic shotcups they do all layer. OOO fits two pellets side by side with the next two crosswise of the first two and so on. That is the largest you can use effectively in a 12 gauge because something like a .390 ball would pile up in a random way and as the wad accelerates up the bore the bottom pellets will be trying to pass the pellet above, thus jamming all but the topmost pellet very hard against the barrel walls. That is why factories load only certain sizes in each gauge. In the 12 bore you get layers of three 00 buck, four #1 buck, and #4 buck layers five then four then five and four etc. so that you end up with 27 pellets in a standard 12 gauge load. In 16 gauge they load only 0 or #1 and in twenty gauge #2 or #3, not from lack of customer demand for larger sizes but because nothing larger will fit.

Interesting, I have never taken apart any modern buck shot shells, this is probably why the buck and ball loads in a ML spred pretty wide after 15 yds or so. I would like to try smaller shot but #1 is the smallest that can be used for deer, I think I would still limit this combo to ten yds or so, even if th pattern tightened up some.

Latest posts

Back