• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brunswick Stew

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pork Chop

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, it is our version of Brunswick stew. Here is what I used:

7 squirrels - boiled and deboned (get those pesky pieces of shot out too...)
1 large can whole stewed tomatoes - drained
1 small can tomatoe sauce
1 can creamed corn
1 can early peas - drained
1 package frozen lima beans
1 package frozen corn
1/2 to 1 bottle of barbeque sauce
1 can of chicken (optional if your tree rats are on the small side...
1 onion (or you can use dried minced onion as it will have plenty of time to rehydrate)
garlic to taste

The night before, boil and bone the squirrels. In the morning, put the ingredients in a large crock pot on the low heat setting. Start with just a half of a bottle of barbeque sauce. My suggestion is to NOT get a sauce that is really sweet as it will overpower the rest of the ingredients. Kraft original will work fine. I started ours at about 7am and we had dinner that night at 6:30. It was bodacious! I put a dash of Louisana hot sauce in mine, and we served it with homemade corn bread. YUMM!!

Pork Chop, Thanks much for the recipe. My brother and I were trying to get that very recipe(one with squirrel) a couple of months ago.It sounds good and simple to follow and I will try it when the weather drops off cold. My father-in-law shoots squirrel indirectly. He calls it "barking". The way he does it is to shoot a roundball close enough to the squirrel to make a piece of tree bark pop off and kill the squirrel. I would not believe it if I had'nt watched him do it myself. I only saw it once and it may have been luck, but it was impressive nonetheless. Shantheman :haha:

Happy to help!

I have never barked a squirrel, but have heard of it being done. I always used a small bore shotgun (410 is the gun of preferance) or a 22. Post your opinion on the stew when you make some!

Pork Chop,
Great recipe! I think mine is very
similar except for the lima beans( :nono:) but that's just me. This can be made with about
anything(chicken,pork,beef,venison etc.) The one
I like best is made with turtle with the addition
of about a cup of red wine added at the end of the
stewing process. The more snapper the better. :hmm:
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Some years ago a local college professor was speaking on a "talk radio" program about his long term study of marmots. He was quite befuddled when I called to ask if he had picked up any good recipes! :haha: When he recovered he made it clear that he was not opposed to hunting and eating marmots, the possibility just hadn't entered his academic mind!
I'll bet your Brunswick recipe would work well with those old boar marmots that are too tough to fry. :grin:

CoyoteJoe said:
Some years ago a local college professor was speaking on a "talk radio" program about his long term study of marmots. He was quite befuddled when I called to ask if he had picked up any good recipes! :haha: When he recovered he made it clear that he was not opposed to hunting and eating marmots, the possibility just hadn't entered his academic mind!
I'll bet your Brunswick recipe would work well with those old boar marmots that are too tough to fry. :grin:

Way to go Joe! :thumbsup:
This recipe is making me hungry. :grin:

Back