• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional German Rouladen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now I'll be the first to admit, this takes a pretty good camp setup - better a line shack with a stove, perhaps - but it can be done, and the results are fantastic, so if someone wants to try this " modern" first, you won't be disappointed. Variations on roulade go back to the 16th century, according to Colonial Williamsburg; in Britain stuffed rolled beef was known as "beef olives" from their shape.

D98CEFCA-3327-4004-B76E-EB7A649F6A10.jpg

Take thin slices of beef, top or bottom round about 1/4" thick, tenderize them with a mallet, and paint them with Dijon mustard. Place a strip of bacon on each, add a sliced gherkin or mild dill pickle and a wedge of onion, roll up, and secure the roll with a skewer ( or toothpick, if going modern). Brown in a deep skillet with a small bit of fat; goose fat is best. Set aside.

P1103306.jpg

Add half a bottle of strong red wine to an equal amount of beef stock in the skillet. Put in a chopped carrot, fresh thyme, 4 cloves of garlic, 5-6 bay leaves, a pinch of ginger, and a pinch of salt. Bring the liquid to a boil, add the beef rolls back in, and simmer over a lower heat for 45 minutes to an hour, adding more wine as necessary (just save a glass for the cook).

After the meat is tender and the liquid is reduced, take out the rouladen. Add a tablespoon of tomato paste or a bit more, thicken as necessary with a bit of flour or corn starch, and strain the sauce.

Plate the rouladen and pour sauce over them. Serve with Spätzle and perhaps cucumber salad, or with asparagus or string beans.

Apologies for the poor photo. Here's one from a previous dinner, with Spätzle and red cabbage.

P1103351-1.jpg

Rouladen or Beef Olives (Veal Olives) go waaay back.

A New and Easy Method of Cookery by Elizabeth Cleland c. 1755

Veal Olives
TAKE ten or twelve thin Veal Collops, rub them over with an Egg; then lay on the Forc’d-meat, and roll them up, roast or bake them: When done, pour over them a Ragoo of Sweet-breads. Garnish the Dish with Oranges.

The Art of Cookery Made Easy and Refined by John Mollard c. 1808

BEEF OLIVES
Roll some of the above forcemeat* in slices of a fillet of beef cut from under part of a rump, put a small skewer through each of the olives, dip them in batter, and fry them in boiling lard; when they are done, drain them dry, and serve them up with stewed French olives, round.

STEWED FRENCH OLIVE SAUCE
The olives are to be stoned, and stewed in strong veal broth till they are tender, and the liquor nearly reduced; season to the palate with cayenne pepper, salt, and lemon juice.

*FORCEMEAT
Make a forcemeat of lean veal and ham, bead, soaked in cream, some green truffles, pepper, salt, a small quantity of beaten spices, beef marrow, parsley and eschalots chopt, and a little white wine. Let the ingredients be pounded well together with two eggs,”¦

So no matter how you do them...they are probably very "regional" in ingredients, plus "seasonal"....they are good from the F&I onward!!!

:thumbsup:

LD

It goes back at least half a century before the F&I War, as I said at the beginning of my post.

Thanks for the variant recipes. I think, however, I'll stick with the red wine sauce. It tastes so good, my mouth waters just thinking about it. :grin:

My mother's side of the family was from Bavaria. We make a Bavarian variation that has mustard, onions, bacon and a hard boiled egg in the center. They are called Vogel's Nest Rouladen - Bird's Nest Rouladen. They make a very nice presentation when you cut them in half and see the meat, white an yolk looking back at you.

Back