• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was hoping that someone may be able to help me. I have a Brown Bess made by Pedersoli, I like the gun and don't want another. But here is my question; I had read a few years ago that someone made a kit to replace some of the parts to make it look more like a long land pattern with a little work. Does anyone know if they still have such a thing? Thank you for your information and any help you might provide.

I ran into a guy at Ft Loudon 2 years ago who said that he was the man who cast the parts for the late Kit Ravenshear's conversions. The parts consist of a new side plate and a tail for the tang on the butt plate. He had kits for both Japanese and Pedersoli guns. I bought one for my Japanese version, it works well, with a minimum of fitting. The guy said he didn't have a web site, and didn't believe in computers. I will see if I can find his card and get you an address.

Cheers, Bill

IMHO, there really isn't a good way to make a Petersoli into a beleivable first model. The stock isn't quite right, and the barrel is 4" too short.

I converted mine to replicate a civilian milita musket of the 1740-60 period, and it looks more believable.

The side plate was replaced with an English fowling style plate, the buttpiece replaced with an English fowler style butt piece, the length of pull was reduced to fit my short round body, and a proper front sight installed.

The crown, name, and date were removed from the lockplate too.

I plan to bend the stock to get a little more drop, and possibly a touch of cast-off.

With that said, I am not a member of a military unit, but do portray a militiaman of the 1756-60 period, so a non-military musket fits my persona.
J.D.

Back