• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bear Crockett mods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go. Top is an online pic, cuzz I didn't have the sense to take a pic of my own before I started. Next are both sides of mine after stripping and browning the steel, refinishing the stock.

Here a closeups of the aftereffects. The steel took LMF browning real well. The factory finish on the stock is a lot thicker than it looks, and in my case hid a lot of detail.

One more note on the browning efforts. The flats on the Traditions barrel weren't flat. They were pretty rounded, as revealed when I went to stripping the bluing. Ended up draw filing the whole barrel, but that's not a big deal.

Other worthwhile mods-

Shorten or at least round the end of the barrel wedge. It's sharp, and rides right at the balance point inside your hand when carrying. Ouch. Same goes for the rear sight. Sharp corners and cold hands don't mix, but the fix is easy there, too.

Nicer looking fer sure with that browned! Really thinking that my Pedersoli Blue Ridge could use that make over! Good job! Greg. :)

RDR45 said:
What is your ramrod made of?

That's the original aluminum rod that came with the rifle. I've since replaced it with plain old hickory. Looks pretty good with a couple of years of powder fouling and greasy patch lube on it! :grin:

Edit:

Looking at the closer pics, I realize there was another small mod I made to it. The ramrod pipes were plain blued, but while I was stripping them I went ahead and added the rings using a needle file. Suits my tastes, but they're not on the original if you're expecting them. Same for the ring on the entry tube.

RDR45 I ordered a thick wall brass tube and made ram rod for mine like it alot better than the aluminum one,can't remember where i ordered it from.

It's a definite upgrade from the stock rifle. I like the Crockett and always thought it could look better. Great job.

Good job. The first two pics of the overall rifle give the feel of a mid to late 19th century half-stock hunting rifle. Great improvement. Might do a lot of good for a number of modern production guns! :thumbsup:

I'm in the process of doing the same thing on a CVA Kentucky Hunter. Working on sanding the stock for finishing then do the barrel. How do you remove the existing blue?
Thanks

doc mull said:
How do you remove the existing blue?

I draw filed mine once I discovered the barrel flats were slightly rounded rather than truly flat. Naval jelly will remove bluing with ease, but leaves the metal kind of a pewter gray. I dunno how that would react with the browning because I've never tried browning it with that pewter look. I always sand it off gently with a sanding block, being really careful to keep the block absolutely flat to the barrel flats.

LMF browning works best with the barrel a little rough rather than spanking shiny. I haven't read up on it recently, but as I recall they recommend 320 grit paper. If I recall correctly some folks on here report great results using paper as course as 200. Anyone back me up or dispute me on that point? My mind is open, if also getting fuzzier as my forehead grows back past my ears. :rotf:

Back