• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Mortimer finish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What in the world do the Italians finish the barrels and stocks with???? I thought it was some sort of duracoat product to create some phony looking plum brown look but I'm now finding a few spots of what looks like the finish blistered and surface rust underneath. I'd post pics except my smart phone camera app isn't working right.

I've got to get this manure off my barrel and get it refinished. Any ideas what to use? While I'm at it I want to refinish the stock, too. Ideas?

Aircraft Remover will eat through anything.

It's paint stripper on steroids.
The Feds have mandated taking all the goodness out of paint removers. The stuff you're referring to had methylene chloride as the active ingredient. That's been gone since 2019.

There isn't a really good stripper left, IMO.

I’d strip the barrel with steel wool. Start course and move to fine once it’s mostly gone. Once it’s all gone wet sand with 800-1200 depending on how mirror smooth you want it. I’ve never had good luck with chemicals not knowing what I’m stripping, but steel wool always works.

To strip modern stock finishes, I first try acetone along with chore boy copper pad scrubbers.

If that doesn't work, then common hardware store Lacquer Thinner with chore boy copper pad scrubbers.

It is a very rare stock these two won't work on, but if so, then manually scraping off the old finish is the last option available.

Gus

Back