• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech Plug Pull + Reinstallation Services?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I’ve got a pistol barrel that I gummed up, long story short a heavily greasy expanded lead ball has been stuck for over a month. Who would y’all recommend I contact in order to get the plug pulled, ball pushed out, then plug re-installed? Thanks.

If the pistol is percussion do a forum search on a stuck ball. There is information using compressed air or a grease gun to remove a badly stuck ball. Cheaper and much easier than pulling a breech plug in most cases.

If the pistol is percussion do a forum search on a stuck ball. There is information using compressed air or a grease gun to remove a badly stuck ball. Cheaper and much easier than pulling a breech plug in most cases.
Believe me I’ve tried every option out there to no avail, it would’ve been cheaper if I just got the plug pulled first.

I believe it’s a Turner Kirkland, pre Dixie gun works. .45 cal.

Attachments

• CFA540A0-5F29-48A3-946F-D9F18D1EB956.jpeg
    CFA540A0-5F29-48A3-946F-D9F18D1EB956.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • DA96A0B4-E441-4EA9-ABBE-0F9EA420CB12.jpeg
    DA96A0B4-E441-4EA9-ABBE-0F9EA420CB12.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 6F6742B4-6E9E-41E8-AB64-376BE3495741.jpeg
    6F6742B4-6E9E-41E8-AB64-376BE3495741.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Not sure what we're seeing in the nipple threads. asssuming that the channel is open there are CO2 kits to blow out the ball. Another way is to get a grease fitting to fit the nipple threads and use grease gun to push it out.

To make it easier, apply heat around the base of the barrel prior to wrenching.
He said the barrel had a stuck ball. If there is a charge in there it will fire if you heat it.

IF you do not have proper V-blocks at least make some maple bocks and put rosin on them. Any slippage will mark the barrel.

Most breech plug tangs are tapered from top to bottom. A plain Crescent wrench with parallel jaws will usually mar the plug. I ground The bottom jaw to an angle common to most tangs and then soldered thin brass shims to each jaw. So this modified wrench easily turns most plugs without any marring and is adjustable for any plug. Works great!

Hello,
I’ve got a pistol barrel that I gummed up, long story short a heavily greasy expanded lead ball has been stuck for over a month. Who would y’all recommend I contact in order to get the plug pulled, ball pushed out, then plug re-installed? Thanks.

Okay to answer your request since no one else will, call: "The Log Cabin Shop" in Lodi, OH, they can take of you. They have three gunsmiths on staff.

I have used them to fix the lock on a cranky flint lock pistol.

Last edited:
Any competent gunsmith can remove a breech plug... well, most breech plugs. You probably can't legally ship it with a charge and a ball in it.

There are numerous ways to remove a stuck ball. You should be able to get it out yourself. Might need a grease gun and a zirk fitting that fits the threads if all else fails, but it works nearly all the time. I've never had to get that extreme. I normally put a little 3f powder under the nipple, make sure the ball is seated on a charge and then shoot it out.

Don't heat the breech. Not saying it doesn't work, but why tempt fate. I once deliberately detonated the primer in a .50 BMG round with the charge and projectile removed using a torch. That primer damaged the torch tip, then ricocheted around the shop for a while, breaking a window in the process and I don't know where it ended up. Yeah, I was young and stupid. Don't be me at age 25.

My friend had a TC in bad shape and I had the breech plug wrench from TC so I tried and made a barrel wrench with wood blocks. I cracked the blocks so I assume they torque the plugs with a 10 foot wrench. Never did get it out. It appeared it was triple balled so heat was out of the question.
I eventually got all the balls and loads out. He still made out as the gun was bought dirt cheap.

Back