• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech loading flintlock - Ferguson or Hall?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own 6 Model 1819 Hall's Rifles, so I guess I am a bit of a fan. I don't really shoot them much, since the majority of them are Confederate percussion altered examples, but I have on occasion and have found no real issues with fouling and minimal (for the design) gas leakage when the block is adjusted properly. Hall's design was probably a little too complicated for the majority of soldiers in the period it was used in.

The rifle's breechblock can be adjusted forward to compensate for breech wear, and the chocks on either side of the block must also be adjusted to assure a tight fit. When you know what you are doing and get everything in order they seem to shoot well enough. Percussion converted M1819 Rifles, the various percussion carbines, and the made as percussion Model 1841 Hall's rifles are easier to shoot than the flintlocks, in my opinion, since there is a huge reduction in flash.

Continual improvements were made in the design throughout production, including recontouring the lower portion of the breech block, the addition of recoil absorbing "protectors" on the sides of the frame, and enlarging the gas escape slits below the sides of the frame.

Historically the guns were well enough thought of. Over 25,000 flintlock rifles were produced for the US military between 1824 and 1840, with several thousand more percussion rifles delivered in 1841 and 1842, plus an excess of 27,000 percussion carbines between 1836 and 1853. The possibility of rearming the whole of the US Army with them was even discussed in the 1830s.

Conservatism in the Ordnance Department and Army was always a roadblock to more general adoption of them. By the time they were condemned and ordered to be sold as surplus in 1858 more sophisticated breechloaders had dulled their star, but the Chief of Ordnance Henry K. Craig commented that if his life depended on it he would rather trust a Hall carbine than any other firearm. IMHO, that's a pretty good review.

The flintlock breech loading rifle of mine is original and loads opposite to the Ferguson with the ball last .
Feltwad

Pictures, please.
Images enclosed
Feltwad

100_0467.JPG
100_0458.JPG

100_0460.JPG

100_0463.JPG

100_0464.JPG

Hi Feltwad,
Is that what you call a deer park rifle? I've also seen examples loading from the bottom.

dave
Dave I would say it is debatable but it does resemble more military but it has a 43inch barrel with a 8 groves and a one and a half twist calibre it resembles a 14 bore so it could be either
Feltwad

If I remember correctly, there were no Ferguson rifles at King's Mountain.
It is my belief that the Ferguson rifles were put in storage because the commanding generals thought that if the soldiers stopped to aim their rifles you would loose the timing of the volleys and would not hear commands. The generals believed in volleys "sweeping the field" rather than aiming at indivual targets.

Latest posts

Back