• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech “Chamber” Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I’ve been working on fixing up an older investarms hawken, and I’ve managed to clear out the rust from the majority of the bore and oiled it sufficiently. Today I got a bore camera and looked inside to see if my work was thorough enough. In the photos provided, you can see where it transitions from the barrel down into the “breech chamber” (I hope that’s the right terminology), and a toothpick that I stuck through is visible. As y’all can see, the chamber is still rusty, but it’s covered up with oil. How can I remove the remaining rust, and clear up the oil so I don’t soil my powder? Would popping a few caps suffice for clearing the oil? Thanks.

Attachments

• 8F4E47BC-4AA2-4015-89F3-E4109DE99E44.jpeg
    8F4E47BC-4AA2-4015-89F3-E4109DE99E44.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 3
  • CFE89870-78D3-4BF3-9885-8D25076861D2.jpeg
    CFE89870-78D3-4BF3-9885-8D25076861D2.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 7E7CA955-5F45-45C3-9AE8-891C5FA5E62A.jpeg
    7E7CA955-5F45-45C3-9AE8-891C5FA5E62A.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 0
and clear up the oil so I don’t soil my powder? Would popping a few caps suffice for clearing the oil? Thanks.
Don't pop caps with oil present,, that's a bad thing. The heat and debris even from caps when mixed with oil quickly fouls into a hard tar like goo that can and will restrict or even block the fire channel leading to hang-fires and/or mis-fires.
A spray of brake cleaner into the breech followed with wiping, or I will use a denatured alcohol rinse to remove oils from the bore/breech before firing.

Some folks will get a small bore breech scraper for like a 32 to get in there,,

I use an alcohol soaked patch to remove any oil from the breech area. Just soak a patch in alcohol squese out any extra and run it into your breech area. Then set off a cap or two.

Latest posts

Back