• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another Balistol question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
Does Balistol provide a degree of rust protection, or not?

The reason I ask is I've been cleaning my Kibler Colonial Rifle with moose milk, followed by a light coat of uncut Balistol on all metal surfaces before putting it up. This last time it was stored in its case (climate controlled area) for nine months. When I finally got around to taking it to the range last week, it came out of its case looking exactly as it did when I put it up. The bore was shiny, and there was no rust or discoloration anywhere. Better yet, it shot lights out.

Now, the Balistol label says it is a rust inhibitor, but folks here say it's not. All I know is it protected my rifle for nine months. Maybe being cased had something to do with it not evaporating and allowing oxidation. I don’t know.

What's been y'all's experience with Balistol and rust?

Ballistol is most definitely a rust inhibitor.

Much more so than WD-40.

Anyone who says Ballistol is not a rust inhibitor spent too much time with Hunter and his crack pipe.

As for sticking a rifle in a case for nine months, you're fortunate it came out well.

A lot of times storing a rifle in a case promotes rust.

Ballistol is a lousy rust inhibitor if there is any humidity present. got a nice palm print on a rifle barrel that I put up right after slathering in ballistol and being stored on the wall in a room between 50-55% humidity, monitored. I also get brown patches after 2-3 days of drying the bore and coating with straight ballistol. It has a purpose in "moose milk" for keeping steel from rusting while cleaning powder fouling with water, and also for helping dry the metal afterward, but after that it needs to be wiped off and a real preservative type oil, grease, or wax applied.

I'm sure a zillion Ballistol fanbois will dogpile this comment and claim it's the best thing ever invented, makes them shoot 10X scores and prevents warts, but like most things it has limitations and climate has a lot to do with those.

I like it,I keep my guns downstairs where humidity is high and it works great for me,I pretty much drown metal parts with Ballistol let sit a couple hours then wipe down for long term storage,if I let it sit it drowned in Ballistol the Ballistol turns into a waxy sort of gloop then I wipe the metal down. Works for me but sounds like it dont work for everyone.

A gun case is a useful layer of protection for transporting your rifle. Almost all gun cases are moisture traps and bad ideas for storage. If you feel you need to put your rifle in something for storage I would recommend a silicone gun sock. Has worked well for me for years. Cushions and protects without trapping moisture.
To my knowledge, Ballistol has never hurt a gun. I do like to use it.

There is NO magic "rust inhibitor" beyond full cosmoline and vacuum packing.

Inhibiting rust with firearms is all about proper care in each individuals environment. There are many products that will help you, but nothing will guarantee no rust with neglect.
Ballistol is a good product, I use it, but not for long term/off season storage. There are probably 100 or more "rust" studies available with maybe 10 that are reliable out there. Where I live here in Minn with our goofy weather changes, Ballistol is on the short list for when I need a few weeks or a month.
I care for my investments on a regular basis, knowing there is no magic pill.

I've had some bad experiences with it at rendezvous, especially in high humidity. After a day of shooting, I would do a good cleaning with soap and water along with some simple green for the bore, do a final wipe down with Balistol before hanging it up in the rack, the next morning a would have some surface oxidization, this has happened a few times so I'm not very happy with it, plus the fumes make me cough. Now I just stick to Rem Oil for my final wipe down and no issues with it.

All my guns are safes in a non climate controlled part of the house. All three have Golden Rods across front and back, hygrometers (always below 5%, and most of the time 0), and big cans of desiccant that needs to be baked a couple of times a year. The Golden Rods keep heated air flowing through the safe, which keeps the vast majority of the humidity out. Totally agree on the humidity. Zero is best. AZ is the best state to store anything metal, the rest of us need powered heat and desiccant.

I've had some bad experiences with it at rendezvous, especially in high humidity. After a day of shooting, I would do a good cleaning with soap and water along with some simple green for the bore, do a final wipe down with Balistol before hanging it up in the rack, the next morning a would have some surface oxidization, this has happened a few times so I'm not very happy with it, plus the fumes make me cough. Now I just stick to Rem Oil for my final wipe down and no issues with it.
Interesting. I've used Rem Oil for years but I have never found it to be a long lasting oil. I use straight Ballistol now. I've had good luck with it, and its a very humid climate here year round.

Ballistol is most definitely a rust inhibitor.

Much more so than WD-40.

Anyone who says Ballistol is not a rust inhibitor spent too much time with Hunter and his crack pipe.

As for sticking a rifle in a case for nine months, you're fortunate it came out well.

A lot of times storing a rifle in a case promotes rust.
I like…”spent too much time with Hunter and his crack pipe” 😇

Ballistol is "Water Soluble Oil"....Understand?

Napa soluble oil is cheaper,...without the stink for moose milk, cleaning and patch lube.

Use actual Oil for storage. CLP BreakFree works nicely,.

The reason I ask is I've been cleaning my Kibler Colonial Rifle with moose milk, followed by a light coat of uncut Balistol on all metal surfaces before putting it up. This last time it was stored in its case (climate controlled area) for nine months. When I finally got around to taking it to the range last week, it came out of its case looking exactly as it did when I put it up. The bore was shiny, and there was no rust or discoloration anywhere. Better yet, it shot lights out.

Now, the Balistol label says it is a rust inhibitor, but folks here say it's not. All I know is it protected my rifle for nine months. Maybe being cased had something to do with it not evaporating and allowing oxidation. I don’t know.

I use straight pure from the bottle a

pure straight from the bottle, light coat on everything and 1 lightly oiled patch by jag in& out of the bore. Simplicity for storage, many many years never an issue, diluted for cleaning only. You won’t go wrong

Back