• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Break- Free

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pproblem. Break Free is better for lubricating the action of a modern gun, but it will do a good enough job preserving a ML bore.

I know of groups of people shooting Besses and Chalrevilles who use nothing else.

CS

Break Free worked great for me as a bore protectant. Although I now use Ballistol.

I've gone to bore butter. Seems like the rifle is easier to clean now. Smells good too and doesn't stain clothes.

I still use break free on non-BP stuff.

I have been using Breakfree CLP for a couple of years now on all my muzzleloaders, works very good.

Break Free is a good all around lube and preservative and will keep rust out fine. It's one of the better rust proofers, though as I found out the hard way, it isn't good for long term protection. I had rusting on some parts treated with it that were stored for a couple years.

I also switched to Ballistol. My reasons were because of it's versatility. I use it as patch lube, solvent, lubricant and rust protector (short term only). It's just more convenient to have 1 product for everything. Once I found out what a great patch lube it is, I just started using it for everything else.

Break Free/C.L.P is excellent and in my own opinion, the best stuff the military came up with for our small arms. I use nothing else on my MLs except Break Free. Just like anything else, you do have to do some p.m.(prevenative maintenance) once in a while and re-oil your ML even if you store them for a long time. :thumbsup:

I use Break Free on the external areas and the lock internals. It works great. For the bore I use Balistol. Petroleum based lubes crud up the bore badly when the rifle is fired. Since I have been using Balistol in the bore I can shoot all day without swabbing the bore. An old CVA Mountain rifle that I have used to be a real pain. It required a damp patch after five or six shots. Now it will go all day.

I've been using Ballistol for the past two years on my Lyman and several other rifles with great results. Never thought of using on my patchs for the 54 cal. I will have to give that a try.

I use Break Free on my muzzleloaders and centerfires. I got used to using it when I first joined the Army 22 years ago. Old habits die hard I guess. I tried Bore Butter on my muzzleloaders for a while but switched back to Break Free. A couple of dry patches easily remove it from the bore before shooting and it doesnt cause me any cleaning problems.

I also find it protects from rust just fine. I have an old Mauser that has been in storage for eight years (I keep promising myslef I will do something with it someday :shake: ) protected with the stuff without benefit of a de-humidifier. Periodic inspections continue to reveal a clean shiny bore. Just gave it a thorough cleaning recently to verify bore condition and found no traces of corrosion. Works for me. Humidity doesnt seem to be an issue as I live in the Pacific Northwest. I havent tried Ballistol in my muzzleloaders but I will if it helps reduce swabbing between shots. Sounds like good stuff.

juice jaws said:
Why did you change to Ballistol? I have been thinking of trying that also. Have been using Bore Butter.

I was getting a lot of the Break-Free on my hands using it to clean and wipe down metal parts. Didn't think it was such a great idea to be absorbing petroleum products on a regular basis. It did work great as a rust preventative.

Ballistol has worked well, too. Mix it with water and use it in conjuction with a flush kit to clean; then wipe down bore and exterior with aerosol Ballistol.

:v
C.L.P Break free w/ teflon.....Is a amazing product for my working arms, my military muskets love it.
When I am not going to use or am going to store a piece I have found thick high pressure black grease is the best product."in my opinion"

Actually, the reason that these guys use Break Free on their Besses and Charlies is that they have a ready supply of it from Uncle Sugar. As I said, it is very good as a lubricant for modern guns and does an okay job on protecting MLs. I find that Rig2 Sportsman Oil and Rig gun grease are better for protecting bores. Oil for a month or two and the grease for any longer in my experience.

CS

Back