• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Break Free vs Rem Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericb

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot the Charleville 6 weeks ago. Cleaned per usual, and finished up with Rem Oil inside and out. Been using Break Free for general preservative for around 25 yrs - after some initial testing and research (plus running out of my Bulk Quantity Stash of Break Free) I made the switch to Rem Oil. Finally got chance to go shooting again yesterday, and before heading out ran a patch through the Bore to clear it of oil and get ready for the session. Patch came out caked with Rust - almost like I hadn't even cleaned the weapon. Buddy, it was Bad.Was all surface rust - no Pitting. Spent the next few hours with JB Paste, Steel Wool, Wire Brush and solvent, etc. Got Barrel back to Arsenal Issue condition. Thoughts immediately went to my Getz Barreled Harpers Ferry Rifle, which I had JB'd after almost 30 yrs hard Service back in January. I had finished that session up with Break Free as a preservative. Ran a patch down the bore - it came out clean.

Should mention the Rain & Humidity here in PA this Summer is some of the worst I've ever seen. We had 4" of rain in an hour the other day - and day after day of oppressive Humidity.But all the other Guns treated with Break Free are fine. Charleville, treated with Rem Oil, was the only one that had a problem.

I really liked the Rem Oil - Goes on cleaner, lower viscosity, less residue. But it failed this test - badly. Am going back to Break Free.

FWIW - from the Allegheny Rain Forest -

Eric

That's scary. I haven't used it in a bore, and now I certainly won't. I've had results comparable to Break Free using EezOx and Barricade though.

I found I have to drench my patch with Rem-Oil to avoid the orange patch before a range session.

Eric,
There are videos on YouTube testing (some more scientific than others) various lubricants/protectants. In the past I used Rem Oil, but changed to Break Free after seeing that many of the different tests showed the same type of result you experienced. If I remember correctly, Break Free did as well as most of the more specialized products. I am not sure if/how BP might change the dynamics?
E

I may have to switch. I started using Rem oil some time ago mainly because it was given to me in a cleaning kit. I thought maybe it was because I haven't been shooting some of my guns as much lately and been siting awhile. I was using WD40 when finished and never had a problem with that.

Been using Sheath for decades & finally ran out last fall. Got a can of Barricade - smells same as Sheath with only the label on the can a little different - Great Stuff, a little goes a long way & also does a good job as a penetrating oil to remove stuck nipples & drum cleanout screws.

I a break free fan as well after using it on several Kodiak hunts riding around in a skiff in salt water. It protected my guns perfectly and have been using it for about 20 years or so.
I now have started testing a new product for cleaning my black powder guns called Gunzilla and it has been working very well at cleaning and preserving. It is waterless and has no petroleum in it.
I still clean with water first and use the Gunzilla for burned on carbon and to anoint the bore with after water cleaning an drying. Mike D.

Anybody tried the relatively cheapo brand of "Supertech" nipple hole blaster spray at Wally World?

In my case, I've used RemOil for near twenty years with great success with "modern" weapons such as M700s, M37s, Glocks, 1911s, SKSs, Broomhandles, etc.

For Black Powder I switched to something more authentic for the times, Bore Butter but as of late have been tinkering with Ballistol, great stuff!

Well... probably not! :blah:

But if I were German in the 1890s I might have come across Ballistol.

I've also tinkered with tallow and beeswax mix, what the wads are lubed with to clean but bore butter still works better. I guess they mostly used plain ole water? :confused:

I love BreakFree for protection. I think RemOil is a little slicker, but for protection BreakFree can't be beat.

I've been following this thread in order to learn what I can about these (and various other) products. Now, a while back I somehow ended up with a mostly full can of "Winchester Break Free clp". Dumb question but I take it this is the same product touted here? If it is indeed the same and is a much superior rust preventative and preserver, I will definitely use it after cleaning up from my next range trip. So far I haven't used it for anything; as I was somehow under the assumption it was for smokeless rifles.

So, do I have the good stuff? :idunno:

I would imagine this is just a rebrand, but I haven't ever seen it myself. I can't see them using a proprietary name??

See if it is made in Jacksonville Florida like the original!

I've been using Breakfree for decades, almost without any issues. The only time I had a problem was when I bought it in an aerosol can. The aerosol form is less viscous and does not protect nearly as well.

I have used RemOil in the past but primarily as a lubricant for the working parts of my lock but not in a long time for a rust preventive. Even then, I had no rust problems with it. My rust preventive of choice has long been Barricade. It's just good stuff and not all that expensive. I have used CLP in my bore and it worked quite well. No rust problems but I still prefer Barricade for my rust preventive. Oh, one thing that I do use occasionally on the exterior of my guns as a very good protectant is Renaissance Wax. It leaves a nice dry surface with no oil to get on your hands, clothes, etc. It's good on metal as well as wood and other surfaces. A bit pricy but good. I am sure that one thing that may hide any short comings of any of the various products from me is the fact that I store my guns in a climate controlled gun safe. I also have a meticulous cleaning process and drying process that I use immediately after shooting them and prior to storing them. Over the years, I have used several products including 3 in 1, CLP, RemOil, Barricade, Renaissance Wax (exterior only) and others with no serious rust problems. It must be due to the fact that I thoroughly wash, rinse, dry (lots of dry patches, compressed air and WD-40) apply a protective product and store in a climate controlled gun safe. :idunno: Whatever it is, my guns stay in a pristine condition and the next time I go to shoot one, when I run a patch down the bore to remove any oil prior to loading, the patches always come out only slightly soiled, if at all, never with any rust, though. It would seem that if one of these products fails badly as a rust preventive, it must be due to the difference in storage conditions between my climate controlled gun safe and whatever storage conditions others are using. :idunno:

Back