• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DOES IT EVER GET CLEAN?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you seeing rust in the bore or on the outside? Is the mink oil applied to the bore or outside? A long time ago, I did see some flash rusting on something, but since then it hasn't recurred. Evidently I changed my procedure and accidentally got it right. Groovy.
There is no rust on the outside; only the patches from inside. I only use the mink oil as a patch lube then Barricade after cleaning.

I have had good results cleaning with patches soaked in moose milk and a toothbrush for the flint lock. Rinse and blow dry the outside and clean patches in the bore. Light coat of WD 40 on the lock and a few WD 40 patches down the bore. Then one patch of my ballistol mix patch that I load with delevolped from Dutch’s accuracy system. For me that’s 2:1with my Don Getz barrel. Simple, no big mess, easy to use any where and rust free. I hope this helps.

Ballistiol and water 4-1 works for me and never have rust. Of course I live in a dry climate so rust usually isn't a problem anyway. I use that same thing for patch lube when on the range and never wipe/clean between shots. I have shot as many as 75-80 shots this way.

In answer to the OP, no, it never really gets clean. Cleanliness is a relative term and no matter how clean you get it, it could always be cleaner. Also, just about any bore "protectant", even Bore Butter, continues to loosen up more crud while the gun is in the rack, so the next time you pick it up, it will have more dirt coming out of the little nooks and crannies inside the bore. Seems I heard an analogy to Zeno's Paradox on this subject once upon a time not so long ago.

In answer to the OP, no, it never really gets clean. Cleanliness is a relative term and no matter how clean you get it, it could always be cleaner. Also, just about any bore "protectant", even Bore Butter, continues to loosen up more crud while the gun is in the rack, so the next time you pick it up, it will have more dirt coming out of the little nooks and crannies inside the bore. Seems I heard an analogy to Zeno's Paradox on this subject once upon a time not so long ago.
Each time we clean we get approximately half the crud out. Example, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2 etc. as you see never all of it. That’s what God intended so we live with it.

I use plenty of boiling water to scrub out the bore. Run patches through it, then plug the end with some kitchen paper and liberally spray WD40 into it until it bubbles up out of the barrel. Another few wipes with patches. Then push a well oiled patched through. I never get any rusty patches weeks down the line. Essentially the same with the cylinder.

Well it depends on what is meant by clean. The cleaning practices we use do get the bore clean. It's how we prepare the barrel for storage that can cause some degree of confusion. Many of the lubricants used to preserve the bore after cleaning will turn brown in the barrel during storage. Then when we run the alcohol dampened patch to remove storage oils it comes out as brown as if there is a layer of rust in the bore. We are pulling out the brown oils. The gun is clean.

Back