• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DOES IT EVER GET CLEAN?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I wake up in a cold sweat and wonder if I really cleaned my Seneca .45 as thoroughly as possible? Maybe I was fooling myself into thinking that it REALLY was clean, but in my blurred imagination I just know that at the deep, dark the end of the bore lurks a fowl, cesspool of black powder, rust, goo and other stuff that has never seen the light of day; but will continue to torment me all the days of my life. If I could just get my hand down there somehow and scoop out that mess out what a relief that would be. So I shot my gun the other day 70 grains of FFG), came home and immediately used maybe 3 or 4 patches soaked with TC bore cleaner (not shown). Then I immersed the barrel in mildly hot water with a generous squirt of murphy's soap. I then swabbed the barrel out maybe a dozen times or more while changing the water until it was perfectly clear. As the picture shows, I ran through 8 patches until #8 came out relatively clean. Now, the fact #8 was clean, is that because the bore was now dry and nothing else would rub off or is the bore still not clean or is it clean? I only use mink oil as my lube and never use Hoppes or any other kind of oil to keep out the rust. I only use Barricade to protect the bore after cleaning. does anyone have any thoughts on this or do you all sleep peacefully throughout the night :dunno:

Attachments

• Patches.jpg
    Patches.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 3
Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I wake up in a cold sweat and wonder if I really cleaned my Seneca .45 as thoroughly as possible? Maybe I was fooling myself into thinking that it REALLY was clean, but in my blurred imagination I just know that at the deep, dark the end of the bore lurks a fowl, cesspool of black powder, rust, goo and other stuff that has never seen the light of day; but will continue to torment me all the days of my life. If I could just get my hand down there somehow and scoop out that mess out what a relief that would be. So I shot my gun the other day 70 grains of FFG), came home and immediately used maybe 3 or 4 patches soaked with TC bore cleaner (not shown). Then I immersed the barrel in mildly hot water with a generous squirt of murphy's soap. I then swabbed the barrel out maybe a dozen times or more while changing the water until it was perfectly clear. As the picture shows, I ran through 8 patches until #8 came out relatively clean. Now, the fact #8 was clean, is that because the bore was now dry and nothing else would rub off or is the bore still not clean or is it clean? I only use mink oil as my lube and never use Hoppes or any other kind of oil to keep out the rust. I only use Barricade to protect the bore after cleaning. does anyone have any thoughts on this or do you all sleep peacefully throughout the night :dunno:
i have come to the conclusion that thar red smutt on the patches is a reaction with your lube and has not much to do with bp residue. when you get as clean as #8 hit it with a good clp product like Necchi uses and give your attention to your wife.

Most oils or stuff like bore butter will brown in the air. So after being in a bore a bit will look like the demon rust
But how does it feel when running a patch down? Does it drag or chatter? I’m betting no
Shot or not I do a monthly swab on my guns. I used to have your same fears. But it’s just browned oil.
Take a spoon full of lard or mink oil, or the much condemned bore butter, Put it out. And in a month or two you will see it brown. It’s not rust, you have nothing to rust, it’s just air browned
I have two guns with white barrels. I can see rust right off. But they have a wipe of grease in them, usually mink oil. Sure enough when I wipe with a clean patch they show brown on the patch.
Nought to worry about.
Still….. live in fear of the demon and take steps to keep him away from your guns

Why are your patches so rusty? I never get orange patches out of my guns.

After cleaning my ML’s and storing them for weeks I would get orange streaks, pretty sure it is rust. Started using one T17 firearm wipe as a cleaning patch after last cloth cleaning patch. No more rusty patches!

Cleaning a gun is like demonstrating Zeno's paradox: Each time you run a patch and jag down the bore, you will remove more crud, but each time it will be less and less. You will never ever be able to remove all the crud, though, and there is no point as the next time you shoot, you will deposit more crud.

Another name for crud is "seasoning". Seasoning is good.

NOTHING is worse than finding crud and rust in a beloved firearm! Being the suspicious sort of guy. I clean the day of shooting, sometimes the next day also. Then 3 days after, three weeks after, and then if it's stored, every three months. You'd be surprised what you find. Sorry if I cause you more anxiety, individual results may vary.

its clean. i do the same with mine and check with a bore scope. gives me nightmares. but the reality is i see a super thin build up of carbon in the grooves and think its dirty. a oiled patch is all thats needed to be able to sleep at night.

did i just clean that .54 gpr?:dunno::dunno:
Thank you brother.

All the dirt was rubbed off #8 in the bore and it is still lurking in there 🤣 :eek:

I just use 3 in 1 oil or whatever is in the shop at the time. When the water evaporates off the hot steel, rapidly, it can cause light oxidation....not sure the scientific reasons behind it but when I stopped using hot water, I was able to get clean patches once the fouling is gone. Some have stated here that the heated steel "pores" or "grain" of the metal opens up and allows old fouling and/or rust to come out, but more starts back in the same metal so it never goes away....?

Latest posts

Back