• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh? I rub brass parts with dirty cleaning patches when I clean my guns so they will patina up faster. Never pondered polishing them.

Nevr Dull if you must, but then let it colour naturally. Brasso can get into the wood, and will leave white powdery residue along the inletting, which will have to get cleaned out (unless you are into stripping the gun to do it).

If the rifle is just for range use, shiny brass is fine, it draws attention. But if you want to use the rifle for hunting, dull, aged brass is much more better. Shiny brass will reflect light, just like a mirror.
I’m 63 and have been doing this since the seventies. Love the looks of patina and dark brown. I know blue was used in a lot but it just never looks ‘right’ to me.
I’ve heard most all my life brass can be seen in the field. I guess it might reflect just like a mirror but only at a peculiar angle.
So many guns came with barrels in the white. Over the past few years I’ve gravitate to white barrels. Locks to were often white.
Brass became a style, as iron to was a style, and often white iron, not browned or blues. and silver would become very popular after cr 1800.
We think of SMR in browned iron, but many were silver too.
White match coats and bright red were common.
I can’t prove it, but I wonder if brass was not cared for in the old days.
Why when Derringer and Henry were making rifles for the westren trade would they have chose brass for their guns when by that time iron work was seen.
I’ve taken to buffing my brass.

"You would never have a cavity in your brass...."

Now that is funny, you have made a good start to the day, thanks.

I was active duty Navy for 2 years. When I shipped out I took a 50 gram tube of Simichrome polish and used it the 2 years on ship and then 4 years in the Reserves. I bought it at my motorcycle shop for use on chrome and found it worked much better than Brasso on my belt buckles. Especially on the ship, the Brasso started to dull very quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that was on purpose so we would have to keep using it. The Simichrome lasted so long that some of my shipmates started borrowing it for their buckles, and I still brought that same tube home.

If you get some, start with a very small amount on a soft cloth. Very small amount. You might want to tape off the stock or remove the pieces as the polish cloth will turn black as you polish.

The product contains a protective coating so it will stay shiny a looong time.

When I was in the British Army, doing my basic recruit training, there was, it seemed an endless amount of brass to keep shined up on a never-ending basis. We early on formed the theory that the Basic Training Staff all had something in their breath that dulled it as they leaned over to check it all out, as it was never quite as shiny after they had passed us as we thought it was before they reached us.

Latest posts

Back