• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass triggerguard time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 4 hours in the triggerguard of my Woodsrunner. Filing, sanding, filing and sanding. Still not perfect but getting close. so many small voids.

Is there an easier way?

I have 4 hours in the triggerguard of my Woodsrunner. Filing, sanding, filing and sanding. Still not perfect but getting close. so many small voids.

Is there an easier way?
Maybe with experience things will move along easier and quicker, but for now take your time. Better to be slow and over cautious than hurrying things along and having to look at mistakes ‘forever’ or trying to figure out a way to hide them.

If you think that's a pain, do a cast steel one.

I spent about 2-3 hours on mine, lots of work perfecting the flats on the bases and defining the steps. I alternated satin Scotch-Brite finish with bright polish on all the brass parts just for the heck of it.

20240101_164932.jpg

20240101_164943.jpg

If you think that's a pain, do a cast steel one.

I spent about 2-3 hours on mine, lots of work perfecting the flats on the bases and defining the steps. I alternated satin Scotch-Brite finish with bright polish on all the brass parts just for the heck of it.

View attachment 296924

View attachment 296925
That is beautiful. I love the walnut.

How did you get the wedding bands so perfect? I have a micro file set but I'm struggling to get the casting line off the top of the band.

That is beautiful. I love the walnut.

How did you get the wedding bands so perfect? I have a micro file set but I'm struggling to get the casting line off the top of the band.

Needle files and backed sandpaper. They need to be re-defined and deepened a bit, I may have used a safe-edge triangle file to crisp up the edges, can't remember for sure.

The brass prep work on my Woodsrunner took longer than the rest of assembly combined!

This is because the wood/metal fit on this kit is so good because the brass in this kit was the best I have worked with.

The brass for the gun I am working on now (not a Kibler) is taking even longer because it is so rough and oversized.

Is there an easier way?
I have always used small sanding belt sticks. I also use them with spit or a light honing oil (spit is easier but the oil works better....just don't do what I did not long ago and start off using oil and then forget and stick the end of the sanding stick back in your mouth.... :p :mad:

I use files (for large flat areas), then needle files and / or riflers where needed. Then the sanding sticks:

They are plastic and spring loaded to hold 1/4" wide sanding belts of various grits. I have a half a dozen of the sticks and keep one for each of the grits I use. I use them for polishing lock parts, brass parts, barrels, and stock details. As noted, when polishing metal, I usually use them with a light oil. The belts don't load up as much with the oil. Here is a link to some that are available on Amazon, but the sticks and belts are available from many sources including jewelry supply houses:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079GHS13V?aaxitk=BjhPW.OfNRwSAJO2fZcH6w&pd_rd_i=B079GHS13V&pf_rd_p=591760d1-6468-480f-9b10-0ee9c85706fd&hsa_cr_id=9367417650701&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=5 Piece Sanding Detailer Stick Set with 2 Extra Replacement Belts Per Stick, 5 Grits 120, 240, 320, 400 & 500 Grit Made in The USA for Sanding Wood, Metal & Plastics, Long Life Sanding Belts

And here is a set from Rio Grande. They also have better belts.....more expensive but better.

https://www.riogrande.com/product/sanding-stick-assortment-set-of-6/337286

I use stones. Mostly the soft ones that will conform to contours quickly....again with a light oil.

A lock comes out looking like this:

After initial shaping with files, etc., I scrape most of the surface of brass and some steel parts. I use the non sharpened edge of a utility blade. This is a blade being used to scrape brass. I use the same tool for brass, wood, and steel. I stone the two 45 degree edges to a sharp 90 and use both sides of those. Scraping a large butt plate takes about 30 minutes. Scraping a whole stock to get out file, rasp, or carving tool marks takes about an hour...more if there is a lot of intricate carving to scrape around. Then I use sandpaper where ever necessary or useful.

Here I am scraping a butt plate with the angled edge of a box cutter blade. It takes off brass more rapidly and more smoothly than a file and leaves a finish that does not take too much more work with the abrasive paper or sticks. I do the inside of the trigger guard bow like this as well. If the part is investment cast, I can start right in with the scraper. If it is sand cast, I usually hit all the surfaces with a file to knock down the roughness, and then start with the scraper.

Wood comes off really fast and I have to be careful not to take too much.

As I said, I scrape some steel parts as well. You just have to refresh the edge of the scraper much more often.

Took half the day, but all the brass parts for a Kibler Colonial rifle were final polished. These were taken to a fairly high gloss and I knocked them back some as I did the engraving. I usually take all the brass and steel to this level of polish first to make sure I'm not leaving any "unsightly" scratches or tool marks. I can see anything I don't like in the surface finish better at this point and then, when I take some of the gloss off as I engrave, I know the parts are clear of tool marks......which, like scratches on the stock, always show up at a lousy time in the finishing process :( :mad:

Last edited:
Back