• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass Supply

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burgessrudy

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I need to find some brass to add to a wooden patch box but cannot find any at local stores. I Tried Home Depot, Michaels crafts. No Luck . Were do people get their brass?

Home Depot, Lowes, Michaels.your local scrap yard plumming sply. Might check the art sply section at Micharls they have sheet copper and brass. Better yet find a RC model shop.
Fox :thumbsup:

try the metal secction of your flying model supply, all sorts of neat stuff. This is where I get my brass tube stock.

Go to any hardware store and buy a Brass Kick plate for Exterior entry doors. This plate will range fron 6 to 12 inches tall and 32 to 36 inches wide. It will be about .035 to .050 thick, and it should be enough to last you your M/L building career. These plates also work well for handmade inlays. :hatsoff: Pegesus59

Thanks for all the information. It tried Michaels Craft store and the lady said they didn't have any, try Home Depot. I asked them and they said they didn't have any. I looked on Track's Site and could not find it so I used Track's search engine for brass sheet and got no hits. After reading the responses, I went back to Track and manualy looked for it again and finally found it under inlays. I will look into the hardware store for the door plate first and if that is not to my needs I'll probably order from Track as I need to place another order anyway. :hatsoff:

pegesus59 said:
Go to any hardware store and buy a Brass Kick plate for Exterior entry doors. This plate will range fron 6 to 12 inches tall and 32 to 36 inches wide. It will be about .035 to .050 thick, and it should be enough to last you your M/L building career. These plates also work well for handmade inlays. :hatsoff: Pegesus59

If you shop such things as brass doorkicks be sure they are solid brass, ive seen some of them that were brass plated steel. Take a small magnet with you to check if theres any doubt.

Go to Texas Knife Supply or Koval Knives & they have the sheet brass in the dif thicknesses.

James townsend and Co. is the supplier of most of the brass inlays and other castings for the industry. He also has sheet brass. Check out all the suppliers that are listed in the Member Services link here. There are lots of sources of sheet brass. Koval knives is one of the biggest suppliers, for sure.

DO NOT use kick plates, unless you want extra work and frustration. They are of a very tough alloy meant to resist dents, and do not form easily, and do not anneal well at all.

If you want to pay a lot try ordering online, otherwise go to your local scrapyard and purchase it by the pound. Lots cheaper! Kurt/IL

Try ACE HARDWARE, they carry hobby brass in various sizes. If that doesn't work, check out a knife making supply company like Texas Knifemaker's Suppply.

If you have a "Hobby Lobby" store near you, you should be able to get it there as well. They have one in Danville if that's anywhere near you.

If you figure it by the square inch, Texas Knife Supply is cheaper & usually has allot of dif thickneses in brass & G.silver. Normally the larger the sheet the better the buy also. :hmm:

Old antique stores that have bins holding peices/parts for old doors. There's one in Akron and they have brass kickplates for old doors that range from thick to thin.

Some are ten bucks, some are more....

There was a guy at Friendship on the Primative camping area that had 2 kickplates for $10. each & I bought one of them. It is .040 thick LOTS of RR pipes in that ! Good cheap engraging materials too, cut off a strip, practice on one side & turn it over & go at it again.
:thumbsup:

for brass sheet I would like to suggest to anyone looking try a hobby shop like hobbytown or any place that sales model railroad supplies. that is where I would get it when the need arose.
hope this helps. David

Try McMaster Carr. Look in the Raw Materials section, bottom right of the page. No order is too small and they ship fast. You can spend days browsing their web site.

Dick,

Back