• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ss range rods as well as coated fiberglass ones. These are primarily for cleaning and pulling balls but only rarely for loading. All my flintlocks have wood underbarrel rods and that's what I normally use in the woods and at the range. I use wood at the range to make sure all loads I shoot will load easily in the bush. If a load won't work while using a wood rod at the range I know it's not a good load for the bush.

I have ss range rods as well as coated fiberglass ones. These are primarily for cleaning and pulling balls but only rarely for loading. All my flintlocks have wood underbarrel rods and that's what I normally use in the woods and at the range. I use wood at the range to make sure all loads I shoot will load easily in the bush. If a load won't work while using a wood rod at the range I know it's not a good load for the bush.
I make my own ram rods. I use selected straight grain hickory, and cull out a few that have even the slightest grain run out. I use them in the field. At the range, I use a range rod.

Well I just ordered an antiqued brass under gun ramrod from October Country for my Frontier flintlock. Thanks all.
After around 20 shots my brass ramrod went from bright and shiny to antiqued. It’s so dark now you’d have a hard time distinguishing it from a wood rod at a distance. Doesn’t take but one shooting session to get that nice patina on it.

Brass and fiberglass need effective muzzle guards to stop the rods wearing out the muzzle , Brass and aluminum are both relatively soft metals and become embedded with grit and can act as lapping rods on your muzzles and bores , rods which come in sections also are not a good idea in a muzzle loader , they usually lack strength at the joins and can bend or break , Fiber glass is abrasive and can wear your muzzle in no time , wood is fine for in the field but can also wear the muzzle if used regularly and not carefully , one piece stainless is beat . In fact all rods need effective muzzle guards . The Delrin rods may not be historically correct but make an excellent rod in the field , where nervous hurried loading or catching on branches or brush can result in a broken rod

I made a brass rod for a 28" barrel gun and a steel rod for a 32". I used 5/16" stock. They fit perfectly into 3/8" rod tips and are easily pinned and glued or pinned and soldered.

There's hollow brass tube available that has a thicker wall but i don't know where you might get it.

Mine are used strictly for. More remote hunts where a range rod might be needed for "problem solving". They have threade rod tips on both ends. Also carry a file handle that is modified to screw onto the rod. Presto! Back country range rod. 😀

All metal and fiberglass rods I have are fitted with bore protectors. I don't have them on any of the wood, underbarrel rods.

The issue for brass rods seems to be weight. Are thick walled brass tubes made and would one be stout enough to use?

I replaced a 5/16" wood rod on a 58 cal with an October Country "Antiqued" brass rod and couldn't be happier. It only needed to be 27 1/2" long so doesn't weigh all that much. I don't notice whatever "extra" weight it added but like it from both a practical & cosmetic perspective over a wood or synthetic rod, not to mention it's versatility. No regrets!!

That delrin rod is handy for loading around corners.
OIP (3).jpg
saving it for this one!

Back