• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP's for Survival

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
necchi said:
when you buy a firearm in this state all they do is a backround check and off you go.
Yeah but,
Those background checks are for a specific purchase w/serial# and other relivent data like where you live.
So your right, off you go,,
Right into the world of perminate records

loosen the tinfoil buddy.

if your tinfoil is extra tight you can just buy all your guns from average joes in this state. this means no paperwork and no black helicopters hovering around your house to see if you still have that mossy 500 you bought 5 years ago in a pawn shop.

The advantage of the BP firearm, and in my case a flinter, would be to conserve fixed, modern ammunition. Harvest the critters with a smokepole; protect yourself with fixed ammunition. Something in a 7.62 x 39 or 5.56mm, or both, as that ammo is plentiful and cheap, and be sure you have bolt action or break action guns in one of those two calibers..., lots of moving parts = more chance to break. Bolt action rifles are much more formidable than folks these days understand, and they last.

Add to that a good .22 rifle per person, and again some should be bolt action or single shot. A 12 gauge wouldn't go amis either.

Civil Unrest or disaster? If you are a city dweller, you nead to leave, period. If it's a storm/forest fire coming, leave before it gets there, and if it's an earthquake or attack, GET OUT. Food supplies will dwindle fast in highly urban areas.

If in a suburban area, judge your distance from the masses who live in the city, and either stand by to bug out, or again GET OUT. The farther you are from a city, the less chance you are going to need SD ammunition.

If you live in the country in a town or village, and the population is rather low, hunker down, and deal with loss of the power grid, and maintaining safe water and sanitation. Hollywood does a p_$$ poor job of actually portraying what would happen to roving bands of mauraders who tried to pray on a country town.

Anybody ever heard of Northfield Minnesota, Sept 7, 1876? The James/Younger gang found out that small town shop owners would and could shoot bandits to pieces. The British following Concord, found out that folks who knew the terrain of the local countryside could hit and run a column of some of the best infantry in the world, and chop it to pieces. The same would be true today. People and tactics haven't changed ; only the gear has changed.

LD

Ever buy a Hunting Licence for Firearm Season,,,,your in the system.Don't need a licence to hunt?????? if you don't have a gun.

What's the difference between a S&W M-14 and an M-10?

The model 14 is a 6" 38spl revolver with target hammer, target triger, adjustable site, and large stocks its a K-frame. The model 10 is a 4" 38spl, fixed sites, with none of he above.

Steve W said:
What's the difference between a S&W M-14 and an M-10?

The model 14 is a 6" 38spl revolver with target hammer, target triger, adjustable site, and large stocks its a K-frame. The model 10 is a 4" 38spl, fixed sites, with none of he above.

What he said. The Model 10 is a update of the S&W Military & Police that goes way back to 1899 when they introduced a new version of the 1889 Hand Ejector in the new, more powerful cartridge: The Mighty .38 Special ! The older .38 S&W and .38 Long Colt had proved ineffective in the Philippine Insurrection.

It's a duty piece through and through. Takes HHK speed loader 10-A, as does the M-14. In the old B&W B monster movies it is what every policeman draws before he gets eaten or death-rayed.

The Model 14 is a target version of the K frame. Arguably the finest .38 Special revolver of all time. (Some argue there is no such thing).

I see all those "post apocalypse" movies where people are armed with compound bows or crossbows because they can't get cartridges. I call that totally absurd. If ammunition production stops there are tons of ammo already available, enough to kill everyone on the planet and every animal on the planet a thousand times over. There will be ammo laying around after the last human has passed on. I'm not a "prepper" nor a "hoarder", just a gun guy who buys ammo in convienent quantities. I have shotguns in 12, 16, 20 and .410 with a variety of birdshot, buckshot and slugs for each. Just a couple of boxes of each gage and variety totals probably 1,000 rounds or more. Likewise I have centerfire rifles in four different calibers and centerfire pistols in four calibers. With just a reasonable supply of loaded ammo and reloading components I have or can make several thousand rounds. I buy .22 rimfire by the brick so I guess I have 1,000 .22 longrifles and 500 .22 WMR and several hundred .17 HMR.
So if I stopped plinking and target shooting and reserved that ammo for serious application how long would all that last? Obviously a lot longer than I would, or my great, great grand children or any edible game animal. In that sort of disaster scenario big game animals will be extinct in a month or two.
Oh yeah, and firearms and ammo will last a lot longer than any compound bow. :haha:

The Model 14 is a target version of the K frame. Arguably the finest .38 Special revolver of all time. (Some argue there is no such thing).

Aha! You are overlooking the model 15 Combat Masterpiece. My vote for the finest .38 Special revolver of all time. :grin: :bow: :surrender: :stir:

Thoughts....
1. Home invasion: Stay in your bedroom behind cover and call police and tell them you are armed and in a back bedroom. Most home invasions involve multiple perps.
2. S&W- after owning a bunch- I like the plain styles with fixed sights- nothing to mess with.
3. Survival weapons- the fastest thing to make is an old fashioned sling- the kind David used to kill Goliath. Then I'd say a spear with a spear thrower. A usuable bow and arrow would take some time to build.

When I was a kid with a serious sling, I could regularly bounce 2" diameter rocks off of the bottom five feet of telephone poles from 100 feet away. Still nothing that I would put up against a firearm of any type.

We had a local bowhunter who decided to become proficient with an atl atl. After several years of practice he was able to hit the broadhead pit (about a 4 ft high pile of sand) almost every try from 25 yards.

They may be great for a mammoth size target but I'd hate to have to eat by what I could hit with an atl atl.

When I was an anthropology student, I got seriously into atlatl's. It's like any kind of tool you use every day, after a while it just becomes a part of your body. Throwing it proficiently becomes a sort of "Zen" thing. You focus on the target, go through the throwing motions, and your body seems to know what to do. We saw a film of a South American tribeman using an atlatl for fishing. Had a multi-pronged tip for sticking and holding fish. I figure if someone can hit a fish consistently, an atlatl can take any small game. Bill

The atlatl requires too much movement. Its fine for large game like Mammoth or the large Bison of the time where the power is needed but a deer or Elk? I am sure I have had deer "jump" at the flash of a FL. They do it to bow hunters too.
Dan

Dan Phariss said:
The atlatl requires too much movement. Its fine for large game like Mammoth or the large Bison of the time where the power is needed but a deer or Elk?

Earlier this year on Discovery Channel there was a show called "I, Caveman" where the people involved were taught to use atlatls. They wound up killing a good sized bull elk with them. It was a bit of a lucky shot but they were pretty much beginners and none of them had much outdoor experience before the show.

Here is a link to the episode. The hunt takes place at about 24:30.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsVNFzIc624http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsVNFzIc624

Last edited by a moderator:
If all I had was a muzzleloader it would be wanted to be a flinter double barrel with one barrel slow twist rifled and both barrels sized to use the same ball.

Well, I can now rest assured that me and my Remington 870 will have plenty of game to hunt. After you all die of starvation form sling shots and at-what-ev-ers. :grin:

What he said. The Model 10 is a update of the S&W Military & Police that goes way back to 1899 when they introduced a new version of the 1889 Hand Ejector in the new, more powerful cartridge: The Mighty .38 Special ! The older .38 S&W and .38 Long Colt had proved ineffective in the Philippine Insurrection.

It's a duty piece through and through. Takes HHK speed loader 10-A, as does the M-14. In the old B&W B monster movies it is what every policeman draws before he gets eaten or death-rayed.

I have an S&W Mod. 10; .38 Special, just the basics, beautifully crafted piece, I love it. Should be a cornerstone of any handgun shooters' armory.

Back