• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP cartridge in ML season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvbuckbuster

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The other day at work another fellow and I were talking hunting-shooting and he told me that some states allow black powder type cartridge guns such as .45-70 during muzzle loader seasons. I had never heard this and don't know what states(if any) he was referring to. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Is this some sort of new threat? :cursing:

I don't see it as a threat when all the other crazy-fangled manure is allowed.

It's not allowed here in TN, but everything else is--and I'm about to start pecking at that.

The "modernization" of front-stuffers is COMPLETELY driven by game seasons.

Wouldn`t seem right to me to allow breechloaders during the Muzzleloading season. Who cares what kind of powder is in the cartridge. Breechloaders and muzzleloaders are as different as archery and spears.

You may be thinking of Mississippi. Here's how they define their primitive weapons season (from their F&W website):
PRIMITIVE WEAPONS
"Primitive firearms" for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of those type rifles; and single or double-barreled muzzle-loading, shotguns with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with either percussion caps or #209 shotgun primers or flintlock ignition. Breech loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use metallic cartridges. Cartridges may be loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. Scopes of any magnification are allowed on primitive weapons.

Don't even have to use BP in the cartridge guns.

Iv heard of this before. It seems Mississippi is one of the best selling areas for the H&R buffalo hunter 45-70 rifle because it is considered primative with an exposed hammer.

It's not allowed here in TN, but everything else is--and I'm about to start pecking at that.

The "modernization" of front-stuffers is COMPLETELY driven by game seasons.

I'll give that a hearty "AMEN!!!"....same manure here in Michigan: caseless rifles during what was meant to be a 'primative' season. :shake:

Turkhunter said:
Iv heard of this before. It seems Mississippi is one of the best selling areas for the H&R buffalo hunter 45-70 rifle because it is considered primative with an exposed hammer.

The H&R Handi Rifle is a better seller with cartridges like the 45-70, 450 Marlin and 35 Whelen. Also it's now legal to hunt a baited field as long as you can't actually see the bait. :shake: :shake: :shake: Only good thing about it is sales of cheatlines are waaay down.

not to change you guys's subject, buuutttt. was just surfin the web and found a site by a toby bridges, says hes going to sue(?) colorado for not letting him use a scope in the ml season. you guys should tell that d*****f***** to go there and do the same to them " " 's. some of these ml guys are just as bad as the guys they dont like. that is all.
btw, just had to get rid of it.

Toby Bridges started out as a traditional muzzleloader. Wrote books about traditional guns. Worked for Dixie Gun Works. Now he's a shill for some in-line and fake powder companies and claims that many traditional guns aren't powerful enough to hunt deer with. If he had any dignity or a sense of honor he would be ashamed of himself. But he has been bought and paid for and is now a painful little wart on the butt of traditional muzzleloading hunters everywhere. :cursing:

Good ol Mississippi. They brought down the Stars
and Bars when threatened by a boycott..money comes
first....Store Keepers rule... :shake: :shake:

No, but they do allow compound bows & cross bows I belive. Both of which are very modern contraptions! They just can't keep the numbers down.

I would much rather see someone out there with a 45-70 Trapdoor or a Rolling block than one of the D@#&ed I!$&@es. :cursing:

Not allowed here in Wisconsin either, but inlines and 1X scopes are! I would much rather have seen a PRIMITIVE season kinda like Pennsylvania's flintlock-only season. Guess we just need to press for some changes; but it took so d----d long just to get a M/L season! Archers can hunt for something like 5 months but - golly- we get a little over a week. Although I do hunt with my flintlock during regular gun season, so that gives me more time in the woods.

Please take most of this in jest! Why not allow BP cartridge(BPC) in ML'er season. We have scoped, jacketed, smokeless shooting muzzleloaders in ML'er season, wouldn't BPC be the same? We have string guns, er I mean crossbows in archery season. We have bows with triggers. In my state, there is not c-fire season. But with the smokeless ML'ers and the newer rifled slug guns, I certainly do not know why we can't use a c-fire. The whole objective at one time was to use slug guns and the then called primitive weapon season (now ML'er season), because of thier limited range made them "safer". So all the marketeers of these guns, just made them reach further. The state isn't not concerned about sport as much as they are concerned with sales. As the general economy slides backwards, this will allow more revenue to be generated. It isn't about the wildlife, it is about the money. Please read first sentence again. :surrender:

Muzzleloader is muzzleloader, a weapon loaded from the muzzle. That`s why in-lines are muzzleloaders under these terms.
I would like to see a name change of the season to "antique firearm season" with the exception to be able to use black powder as a propellant only and a set cut-off date for the term "antique".Longbows and recurves included,but no compounds. Technically the date when smoke-less powder replaced black powder in cartridge ammunition. This date should be fairly easy to determine from old production records.

Legally, I can not hunt a muzzleloading season with a Ferguson flintlock rifle,because it is a breechloader. Or a Lorenzi-system flintlock rifle from the early 1700`s(way too costly,but a breechloader,too). The same with BP cartridge guns, these are just that: breechloaders

Back