• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Revolvers - Antiques

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnh

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Just FYI. There has been internet talk that some BP revolvers are no longer antiques because cartridge cylinders are available and the revolvers can be easily converted to accept cartridges. Some dealers on GB are now requiring FFLs on BP revolvers, particularly ROAs.

I just talked with an ATF agent on the phone who was very knowledgeable on the topic. He said if a cartridge conversion is in the revolver it is no longer an antique. If the the revolver is an unaltered muzzle loader it is federally an unregulated antique. Just because cartridge cylinders are available does not change their status as antiques.

A few states have their own regulations.

Just FYI. There has been internet talk that some BP revolvers are no longer antiques because cartridge cylinders are available and the revolvers can be easily converted to accept cartridges. Some dealers on GB are now requiring FFLs on BP revolvers, particularly ROAs.

I just talked with an ATF agent on the phone who was very knowledgeable on the topic. He said if a cartridge conversion is in the revolver it is no longer an antique. If the the revolver is an unaltered muzzle loader it is federally an unregulated antique. Just because cartridge cylinders are available does not change their status as antiques.

A few states have their own regulations.
But the Nervous Nelly BGOS types will still insist on an FFL for transfer.

Doing what they can do to help the Democrat Party crackdown on our 2A Rights.

I've noticed in the last year or so that some black powder revolvers for sale on GB that are not converted has a statement by the seller that it needs to be shipped to an FFL holder. Be a no bid for me.
A few states require bp guns to be shipped to a FFL.
Many times on GB if you don't check FFL not required the program will mark FFL required.

When shipping a BP revolver and a conversion cylinder together it has to go to an FFL.

That is why a dealer will ship the two separate.

Not for nothing, but I see the same legal discussions keep popping up in forums.
SMH
And I ask myself are the people that are asking these questions in law enforcement?
Are they looking to get clarification or see what isn't over regulated and make sure it is.

2ndamendment.JPG

Johnh, you say you talked to a very knowledgeable person at ATF, but he referred to revolvers as muzzle loaders? How knowledgable could he really be?
We discussed percussion revolvers that load from the front, not with fixed cartridges. This is the muzzleloading forum, and we discuss revolvers here.

Don’t worry, they ALL will be needing a FFL if certain people get their way…..

Here everything is outlawed, holy black, lead, even some AIR rifles are FFL.
You can wear a sword, as long its on your side and not on your back which is illegal.
When I die, and my grand boy gets my flinter, he has to go to an FFL to transfer it.
Like thats going to happen. He is a smart Marine.

I've always been aware that this topic would become better known, and expect that some day the part itself will be serialized and treated like a fully complete pistol. Buy spares now for any future purchases!

I would place the blame on the people who hired the lawyers.

Lawyers are douchewaffles because douchewaffles hired the douchewaffles to be douchewaffles.

If it weren't for people looking for something for nothing, we'd have no need for lawyers.

We didn't get CAUTION: HOT COFFEE warnings because of lawyers. We got the warnings because some idiot burned themselves with a steaming hot cup of coffee and some idiot jury awarded them money.

Indeed. We all have to take responsibility for our civic laziness but the douchewaffles have, for years, plied their trade behind locked doors, inside dark rooms while you and I were distracted with working for our livings, paying their taxes and providing for our families.

I know this has nothing to do with firearms, esp muzzleloaders black or artificial black powder, but I always done my own taxes (forms). Several years ago I was really stumped on having to figure how to handle the inheritance from the selling of my wifes family farm due to the complex two forms that needed filling out. About tore out what was left of my head of hair. Finally had to go get help (used wife's Mothers estate attorney). Told this attorney it seems strange that the vast majority of politicians both state and federal who make and approve of these complex and at times hard to understand tax forms are attorneys by trade who IN their OFF time when not legislating are charging citizens big sums of money to figure out and fill in tax forms be it state or federal. Legal rip off artists IMO. She agreed with me to my surprise. Just saying!!!!

Latest posts

Back