• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP carry in Indiana?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekforge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I JUST GOT A PIETTA 1858 REM. AND WAS WONDERING IF ITS LEGAL TO TRANSPORT IT WITHOUT A PERMIT IN INDIANA

Nothing against you youngster. But, the first question that comes to mind is; Are you old enough to own, let alone, transport a blackpowder handgun in the state of Indiana?

In Indiana, a resident cannot carry a handgun without a permit.

Should you be caught carrying on your person or in your auto, other than on the day of purchase, without a permit to carry, you will be arrested. As long as you have a permit, you may carry a handgun in your car or on your person.

If you purchase a handgun you have 24 hours from the time of sale to transport it home without a permit.

You may want to call or write the local Sheriff's Office of the county you where you live for a better answer your question.

JUST HAD A LITTLE ARGUMENT GOING ON ABOUT OLD LAWS AND NEW LAWS ON CARRY. I WASNT GONNA TRY AND CARRY IT. ITS LEGAL TO HAVE ANY FIREARM PASSED DOWN OR BOUGHT FOR YOU BY PARENT

check this website out

"http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch5.html"

and the rest is on the IN 'dot' gov site

this is not an open carry state and you need to visit here for the laws according to Indiana. Good luck.

Hmmm...seems to me that all sellers of Black Powder
guns from your state require a FFL for sales on the auction sites.....
( food for thought )
And you probably need to be accompanied by an adult when you are out at the range fireing it...

I'm glad to see you don't intend to carry your pistol.

IF ... you ever decide to try this with your replica, pre-1898, black powder revolver, doesn't use fixed ammunition, its a 150 year old technology, so I don't need a permit ... likely what will happen is:

A cop will spot you and you will be arrested, cuffed, and jailed, plus you pistol will be confiscated. It will be of no avail to explain to the cop that it is a curio and relic. The cop will see it as a lethal weapon, which it is!

You will get a trial date, appear in court with your attorney (think a few thousand dollars in fees), and suffer the penalty for carrying without a permit.

You could also try to convince a judge the pistol is not a "firearm" in the modern sense, get an attorney who specializes in these matters (think lots of thousands of dollars), and probably loose anyway.

Indiana does not require a FFL to buy but you are right about the Policeman and him arresting you. The carry law is pretty strict here.

Cheers, Don

Don't want to end up like that young re-enactor who, after an event, went and left his musket in the back of his car and got caught with it in the high school parking lot. Sincere can of night crawlers!

CP

Back